Goal was nice but Elliott List says performance against Waslall should have come with three points too
- Credit: DANNY LOO/TGS PHOTO
Elliott List was happy to be among the goals again but that was the limit of his pleasure following Stevenage's game with Walsall.
The forward bagged his seventh of the season with a fine finish 20 minutes from time to earn his side a 1-1 draw in the League Two match at the Lamex Stadium.
But like his manager before him, there were frustrations at not taking all three points.
He said: "We gave them a goal in the opening 14 seconds and it was an uphill battle from there.
"We were the only team in it and we had chances that we should have taken.
"We should have won by at least three so it’s frustrating.
"We have to start sharper and get on the front foot instead of having to respond to going a goal down.
"If we start like that then we beat teams comfortably."
He had gone close twice in the first half, one drawing a great save from goalkeeper Liam Roberts and the other hitting the side netting, while another chance was passed up.
- 1 CCTV appeal after fraud incident in Stevenage
- 2 Missing Stevenage teen found
- 3 Five Guys to open as lockdown restrictions ease
- 4 Development plans for 16.5-acre Stevenage site could create 1,000 jobs
- 5 Historic school to close at end of academic year
- 6 When will outdoor pools be reopening in Letchworth and Hitchin?
- 7 Save the date! Popular Eat Alfresco dining experience will return
- 8 Have you seen missing Hitchin woman?
- 9 Primary schools hit back after ex-Ofsted head says teachers should be prepared to 'sacrifice their lives'
- 10 More than £250,000 funding agreed for new Stevenage school
A conversation with manager Alex Revell though gave him confidence to fire in the equaliser.
He said: "[Roberts] made a great save from a header, I don’t score many of those, and he had a great game.
"Fortunately, he didn’t stop the equaliser.
"The gaffer told me I should have hit one in the first half with my left but I cut back onto my right.
"He told me to trust my left foot and that is exactly what I did.
"It’s always nice to score but it would have been even nicer to get the three points."