Goal was nice but Elliott List says performance against Waslall should have come with three points too
- Credit: DANNY LOO/TGS PHOTO
Elliott List was happy to be among the goals again but that was the limit of his pleasure following Stevenage's game with Walsall.
The forward bagged his seventh of the season with a fine finish 20 minutes from time to earn his side a 1-1 draw in the League Two match at the Lamex Stadium.
But like his manager before him, there were frustrations at not taking all three points.
He said: "We gave them a goal in the opening 14 seconds and it was an uphill battle from there.
"We were the only team in it and we had chances that we should have taken.
"We should have won by at least three so it’s frustrating.
"We have to start sharper and get on the front foot instead of having to respond to going a goal down.
"If we start like that then we beat teams comfortably."
He had gone close twice in the first half, one drawing a great save from goalkeeper Liam Roberts and the other hitting the side netting, while another chance was passed up.
- 1 Tributes paid to Arsenal fan who died of COVID-19 'caught at Euros final'
- 2 Police hunt wanted man in connection with assault and harassment
- 3 Rapist faces 'considerable custodial sentence' after guilty verdict
- 4 Hitchin teenager convicted of raping three young people
- 5 Motorcyclist dies after crash near Hitchin
- 6 Aerial acrobatics show to be performed in the heart of Stevenage town centre
- 7 Topping out ceremony marks significant progress to new bus interchange
- 8 Fraudster to repay victim £87k more than decade after conviction
- 9 Woman suffers facial injuries in pub assault
- 10 Primary school's Early Years team achieves award for quality standards
A conversation with manager Alex Revell though gave him confidence to fire in the equaliser.
He said: "[Roberts] made a great save from a header, I don’t score many of those, and he had a great game.
"Fortunately, he didn’t stop the equaliser.
"The gaffer told me I should have hit one in the first half with my left but I cut back onto my right.
"He told me to trust my left foot and that is exactly what I did.
"It’s always nice to score but it would have been even nicer to get the three points."