Woodn’t you like to see a little Sondheim on stage in Hitchin?
- Credit: Archant
Why wait for Johnny Depp and Meryl Streep to get their act together?
A-list Hollywood names will soon be seen in a big screen version of Stephen Sondheim’s acclaimed Into The Woods, in which the master of modern musical theatre applies his art and expertise to familiar fairy-tale set-ups.
But you can see the show where it was meant to be seen, on stage, at Hitchin’s Queen Mother Theatre next week.
Putteridge Bury Gilbert & Sullivan Society, which draws many of its members from North Herts and stages its shows at the Woodside theatre, has chosen Sondheim and James Lapine’s magical musical as its latest challenge. The company usually performs one Gilbert & Sullivan work and one other musical a year, and was last in action with The Mikado at the same venue in April.
The curtain goes up at 7.30pm next Wednesday, October 8, when tickets come at the bargain price of £11. The run continues on Thursday, Friday and Saturday (tickets £13) – call 07946 264886 or visit www.pbgsgilbertandsullivan.blogspot.co.uk for yours.
You may also want to watch:
You’ll be able to get a sneak preview of the show when cast members spread the word in Hitchin town centre at noon on Saturday – catch them in Churchgate and get a flavour of what’s in store.
- 1 Major application submitted for 1,500 new homes on land west of Stevenage
- 2 Will loss of free parking cause death of high street?
- 3 Man left seriously injured after motorcycle crash
- 4 Venue loss forces lifeline community group to close
- 5 Bringing home the bacon: Martyn's joy at Radio 1 rasher fame
- 6 Baby boutique born in lockdown welcomes first customers
- 7 Arson attack causes thousands of pounds worth of damage to rural Herts pub
- 8 Decision for development off Letchworth country lane deferred
- 9 Plan to transform Baldock pub in to block of six flats is approved
- 10 Is the era of face-to-face GP appointments over in Hertfordshire?