Woodn’t you like to see a little Sondheim on stage in Hitchin?
- Credit: Archant
Why wait for Johnny Depp and Meryl Streep to get their act together?
A-list Hollywood names will soon be seen in a big screen version of Stephen Sondheim’s acclaimed Into The Woods, in which the master of modern musical theatre applies his art and expertise to familiar fairy-tale set-ups.
But you can see the show where it was meant to be seen, on stage, at Hitchin’s Queen Mother Theatre next week.
Putteridge Bury Gilbert & Sullivan Society, which draws many of its members from North Herts and stages its shows at the Woodside theatre, has chosen Sondheim and James Lapine’s magical musical as its latest challenge. The company usually performs one Gilbert & Sullivan work and one other musical a year, and was last in action with The Mikado at the same venue in April.
The curtain goes up at 7.30pm next Wednesday, October 8, when tickets come at the bargain price of £11. The run continues on Thursday, Friday and Saturday (tickets £13) – call 07946 264886 or visit www.pbgsgilbertandsullivan.blogspot.co.uk for yours.
You may also want to watch:
You’ll be able to get a sneak preview of the show when cast members spread the word in Hitchin town centre at noon on Saturday – catch them in Churchgate and get a flavour of what’s in store.
- 1 Regeneration plans submitted to 'breathe new life' into Stevenage retail park
- 2 Video of woman spewing racial hate in Hitchin goes viral
- 3 Man suffers head injury after fall from moving car
- 4 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
- 5 Proposed 5G mast labelled 'monstrosity' by objecting residents and councillors
- 6 Bomb squad attends residential street in Letchworth
- 7 Demolition work begins on former Matalan site to make way for flats
- 8 Surprise care home inspection finds residents at risk
- 9 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 10 Lasting tribute to schoolgirl after tragic death