Where Are We Going? – Walkern hosts touring UK exhibition
A PRINTMAKER and a poet have combined for an exhibition which is touring the UK.
Lilley resident Kim Major-George is showcasing her hand-pulled collograph print alongside poetry by Steve Thorp at Walkern Gallery after opening to the public on Monday.
Part of the Herts Open Studios, the exhibition visits Walkern on the third leg of a tour which will incorporate galleries across the UK.
Entitled Where Are We Going? the artwork on display aims to highlight the need to replace the unsustainable models and use our advanced technology to create a more cohesive civilisation.
“I come from a spiritual but pragmatic view of the global shift that is taking place throughout 2012 and beyond and the constant themes of finding new ways to fulfil man’s spiritual and material needs dominate my new work,” said Kim. Steve added: “There’s a necessity for integration and indignation, for dialogue, uncertainty and courage. There’s a simple need for people to face what is lost, live good and creative lives and to be the change we want in the world. This is what these visual poems are about. It is, at once, a meditation, a lamentation and a gentle call to arms.”
You may also want to watch:
Where Are We Going? runs from 10am to 5pm until September 30 at the gallery in Walkern High Street. For more information call 01462 769024.
- 1 Regeneration plans submitted to 'breathe new life' into Stevenage retail park
- 2 Video of woman spewing racial hate in Hitchin goes viral
- 3 Man suffers head injury after fall from moving car
- 4 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
- 5 Proposed 5G mast labelled 'monstrosity' by objecting residents and councillors
- 6 Bomb squad attends residential street in Letchworth
- 7 Demolition work begins on former Matalan site to make way for flats
- 8 Surprise care home inspection finds residents at risk
- 9 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 10 Lasting tribute to schoolgirl after tragic death