Vinyl junkies put Spice in hip-hop EP
A producer has released a new collaborative EP featuring hip hop star Craig G.
Danny Spice of Carry On Going (COG) Records in Hitchin has released the five-track recording The King Amongst Thieves with the vocal talents of the former Juice Crew member – on previously released 7” King of the Beat – as well as fellow rappers Oxygen, Simple One and Kool Sphere.
The self-confessed vinyl junkie said the record is a product and celebration of over 20 years rummaging through record store racks, especially at Letchworth’s David’s Music and on Hitchin Market: “Whether it was spending all my money in the bargain bucket as a child, pointlessly browsing as a broke teenager or sending my 10-year-old daughter into a state of boredom in more recent times from the hours spent trawling through crates.
“Aside from the fancy hardware kit, the main emphasis behind the project is on records.”
He added the project is by no means a solo effort though, rather a meeting of minds who “romanticise all things past, set over a collage of sound.
“From Queen’s legend Craig G to Kool Sphere of Verbal Threat’s classic block party style hooks, Oxygen’s thought-provoking poems and Germany’s Simple One laying down his trademark warm monotone flows, this record is without a shadow of a doubt paying homage to the sound of New York. Add a little former Scratch Pervert DJ Mr Thing to the mix and every angle is covered.
“I picked these artists because I’m a fan of them. It was important that the artists I used have the same passion for the music. The record is really about a love records and taking samples from them. Everyone on the record is a fan of that style production – taking something old and worn then making something banging out of it.”
- 1 Stevenage Major Works: Leaseholders sent final bills
- 2 North Herts deputy council leader Paul Clark passes away from COVID-19
- 3 Trust calls out council for causing 'uncertainty and chaos' by disrupting two-tier conversion
- 4 Prince Philip death joke tweets sparks probe as councillor leaves party
- 5 Downing Street: Our MPs' responses to alleged illegal Christmas party
- 6 175-year-old primary school saved after months of uncertainty
- 7 Turkeys for sale on Facebook ruffles feathers
- 8 Tranquil Turtle officially opens with dazzling launch event
- 9 Man charged with multiple burglaries after police chase
- 10 Christmas markets return to Hitchin
A limited edition vinyl pressing – 200 hand numbered – is available now from David’s Music. Pre-orders for the digital version can be placed on iTunes.