Vinyl junkies put Spice in hip-hop EP
A producer has released a new collaborative EP featuring hip hop star Craig G.
Danny Spice of Carry On Going (COG) Records in Hitchin has released the five-track recording The King Amongst Thieves with the vocal talents of the former Juice Crew member – on previously released 7” King of the Beat – as well as fellow rappers Oxygen, Simple One and Kool Sphere.
The self-confessed vinyl junkie said the record is a product and celebration of over 20 years rummaging through record store racks, especially at Letchworth’s David’s Music and on Hitchin Market: “Whether it was spending all my money in the bargain bucket as a child, pointlessly browsing as a broke teenager or sending my 10-year-old daughter into a state of boredom in more recent times from the hours spent trawling through crates.
“Aside from the fancy hardware kit, the main emphasis behind the project is on records.”
He added the project is by no means a solo effort though, rather a meeting of minds who “romanticise all things past, set over a collage of sound.
You may also want to watch:
“From Queen’s legend Craig G to Kool Sphere of Verbal Threat’s classic block party style hooks, Oxygen’s thought-provoking poems and Germany’s Simple One laying down his trademark warm monotone flows, this record is without a shadow of a doubt paying homage to the sound of New York. Add a little former Scratch Pervert DJ Mr Thing to the mix and every angle is covered.
“I picked these artists because I’m a fan of them. It was important that the artists I used have the same passion for the music. The record is really about a love records and taking samples from them. Everyone on the record is a fan of that style production – taking something old and worn then making something banging out of it.”
- 1 Woman suffers facial injuries in pub assault
- 2 Prime Minister Boris Johnson opens Airbus' new £35 million facility
- 3 Two arrests made after serious assault in town centre
- 4 Motorcyclist dies after crash near Hitchin
- 5 Our town in pictures: A journey through Stevenage's past and present
- 6 Stevenage through and through - nine generations of family see town transformed
- 7 Community rallies together to clean up church after 'mindless' vandalism
- 8 Famous faces: A look at Stevenage's most notable people
- 9 Brett Donnelly happy with squad building as Stotfold aim for promotion goal
- 10 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
A limited edition vinyl pressing – 200 hand numbered – is available now from David’s Music. Pre-orders for the digital version can be placed on iTunes.