Veterans end folk season on a high
Hitchin Folk Club welcomes two veteran singer-guitarists this month before the club closes for its summer break.
This Sunday the guest is Martin Simpson, widely regarded as one of the finest acoustic finger-style and slide guitarists in the world.
Simpson’s influences are eclectic, including Northumbrian dance tunes, Anglo-Scots ballads, old timey and blues songs, New Orleans jazz and Rhythm and Blues. His interpretations of traditional songs are masterpieces of storytelling, and his solo shows are intense, eclectic, spellbinding and deeply moving.
Over the course of a long career he has collaborated on stage and recorded with artists including June Tabor, Kelly Joe Phelps, Jackson Browne, Danny Thompson, Dan�, Martin Carthy, Cara Dillon, David Lindley, Roy Bailey, Martin Taylor, David Hidalgo, Steve Miller, and Dick Gaughan.
He has been nominated 23 times in the 11 years of the BBC Radio 2 Folk Awards - more than any other performer.
You may also want to watch:
Doors open at 7.30pm, and tickets are �12 for members and �14 for non members.
The following Sunday, June 12, Martin Joseph visits the club.
- 1 Body found in search for missing woman
- 2 Primary schools hit back after ex-Ofsted head says teachers should be prepared to 'sacrifice their lives'
- 3 Movies announced for drive-in cinema's return to Knebworth
- 4 Good Samaritan becomes victim of attempted robbery in Stevenage
- 5 Person hit by train between London Kings Cross and Stevenage
- 6 Person dies after being hit by train near Welwyn Garden City railway station
- 7 Town's multi-million pound investment is 'once in a generation' opportunity
- 8 CCTV appeal after fraud incident in Stevenage
- 9 More than £250,000 funding agreed for new Stevenage school
Last year saw the release of his 31st album Under Lemonade Skies, described by Radio 2’s Bob Harris as “his biggest album to date”.
The theme of social justice is a constant presence in his music, although his style is hard to categorise, having been described as folk, rock, soul, folk funk, and Americana.
This is an all-ticket concert, �12 for members and �14 for non-members. Doors open at 7.30pm.
Hitchin Folk Club make their home at the Sun Hotel in Sun Street.
For tickets call 01462 812391.