Veterans end folk season on a high
Hitchin Folk Club welcomes two veteran singer-guitarists this month before the club closes for its summer break.
This Sunday the guest is Martin Simpson, widely regarded as one of the finest acoustic finger-style and slide guitarists in the world.
Simpson’s influences are eclectic, including Northumbrian dance tunes, Anglo-Scots ballads, old timey and blues songs, New Orleans jazz and Rhythm and Blues. His interpretations of traditional songs are masterpieces of storytelling, and his solo shows are intense, eclectic, spellbinding and deeply moving.
Over the course of a long career he has collaborated on stage and recorded with artists including June Tabor, Kelly Joe Phelps, Jackson Browne, Danny Thompson, Dan�, Martin Carthy, Cara Dillon, David Lindley, Roy Bailey, Martin Taylor, David Hidalgo, Steve Miller, and Dick Gaughan.
He has been nominated 23 times in the 11 years of the BBC Radio 2 Folk Awards - more than any other performer.
Doors open at 7.30pm, and tickets are �12 for members and �14 for non members.
The following Sunday, June 12, Martin Joseph visits the club.
- 1 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 2 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 3 A1(M) closed in both directions due to fallen cables
- 4 Stevenage MP earns over £4,000 per month from other jobs
- 5 Woman on trial over bottles smashed in Aldi store
- 6 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 7 Closures lifted on A1(M) after emergency services deem road safe
- 8 Anti-spiking campaign launched at Old Town pub
- 9 High winds stop Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on event
- 10 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
Last year saw the release of his 31st album Under Lemonade Skies, described by Radio 2’s Bob Harris as “his biggest album to date”.
The theme of social justice is a constant presence in his music, although his style is hard to categorise, having been described as folk, rock, soul, folk funk, and Americana.
This is an all-ticket concert, �12 for members and �14 for non-members. Doors open at 7.30pm.
Hitchin Folk Club make their home at the Sun Hotel in Sun Street.
For tickets call 01462 812391.