Verdi’s La Traviata criss-crosses the country, and Russian production comes to Stevenage on Sunday
- Credit: Archant
There’s a highbrow hue to Sunday night’s production at Stevenage’s Gordon Craig Theatre – for one night only, Verdi’s La Traviata is brought to North Herts by a touring team from the Russian State Ballet and Opera House.
The renowned company is criss-crossing the country in a tour which began last week in Essex and will come to and end in Derbyshire next month.
There’s hardly a free day in the 31-venue tour and if you can’t make Sunday they’ll be at the Alban Arena next Thursday, too.
The production – sung in Italian with English subtitles – boasts an impressive cast and the music will be provided by a live orchestra.
Verdi’s famous work is based on a play adapted from an Alexandre Dumas novel about a high society courtesan who sacrifices all for the man she loves.
Producer Alexej Ignatow said: “Opera is sometimes seen as being out of reach but these performances bring world class opera talent to local audiences in a way that makes opera more accessible than ever.
“For many people, seeing an opera is a wonderful and profound experience and one they are keen to repeat. I hope that these performances will encourage many more people to try opera and discover the magic it creates.”
Call 01438 363200 or visit www.gordon-craig.co.uk for booking details.
- 1 Tranquil Turtle officially opens with dazzling launch event
- 2 Man charged with multiple burglaries after police chase
- 3 Dangerous paedophile jailed for sexual abuse of vulnerable girl
- 4 175-year-old primary school saved after months of uncertainty
- 5 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
- 6 Christmas markets return to Hitchin
- 7 Serious collision on A602 injures four
- 8 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 9 Christmas Fayre and switch-on attracts hundreds
- 10 Does your MP support drug testing in Parliament?