Verdi’s La Traviata criss-crosses the country, and Russian production comes to Stevenage on Sunday
- Credit: Archant
There’s a highbrow hue to Sunday night’s production at Stevenage’s Gordon Craig Theatre – for one night only, Verdi’s La Traviata is brought to North Herts by a touring team from the Russian State Ballet and Opera House.
The renowned company is criss-crossing the country in a tour which began last week in Essex and will come to and end in Derbyshire next month.
There’s hardly a free day in the 31-venue tour and if you can’t make Sunday they’ll be at the Alban Arena next Thursday, too.
The production – sung in Italian with English subtitles – boasts an impressive cast and the music will be provided by a live orchestra.
Verdi’s famous work is based on a play adapted from an Alexandre Dumas novel about a high society courtesan who sacrifices all for the man she loves.
You may also want to watch:
Producer Alexej Ignatow said: “Opera is sometimes seen as being out of reach but these performances bring world class opera talent to local audiences in a way that makes opera more accessible than ever.
“For many people, seeing an opera is a wonderful and profound experience and one they are keen to repeat. I hope that these performances will encourage many more people to try opera and discover the magic it creates.”
Call 01438 363200 or visit www.gordon-craig.co.uk for booking details.
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of harassment after Stevenage and Preston incidents
- 2 Who is Slove? Spate of Stevenage graffiti prompts police appeal
- 3 Pictured: The first pints, haircuts, swims and more as lockdown restrictions ease
- 4 What can I do and what opens when COVID lockdown rules ease on Monday, April 12?
- 5 Have you seen missing man from Stevenage?
- 6 Stevenage's play areas set to reopen for first time in months
- 7 Inside the breathtaking £2.6million historic house that has its own 'party barn'
- 8 Former Hitchin and Stevenage MP Shirley Williams dies aged 90
- 9 Drive-in cinema arriving at London Luton Airport
- 10 All change at Arlesey Town as chairman John Morrell is replaced by former Premier League striker