Verdi’s La Traviata criss-crosses the country, and Russian production comes to Stevenage on Sunday
- Credit: Archant
There’s a highbrow hue to Sunday night’s production at Stevenage’s Gordon Craig Theatre – for one night only, Verdi’s La Traviata is brought to North Herts by a touring team from the Russian State Ballet and Opera House.
The renowned company is criss-crossing the country in a tour which began last week in Essex and will come to and end in Derbyshire next month.
There’s hardly a free day in the 31-venue tour and if you can’t make Sunday they’ll be at the Alban Arena next Thursday, too.
The production – sung in Italian with English subtitles – boasts an impressive cast and the music will be provided by a live orchestra.
Verdi’s famous work is based on a play adapted from an Alexandre Dumas novel about a high society courtesan who sacrifices all for the man she loves.
You may also want to watch:
Producer Alexej Ignatow said: “Opera is sometimes seen as being out of reach but these performances bring world class opera talent to local audiences in a way that makes opera more accessible than ever.
“For many people, seeing an opera is a wonderful and profound experience and one they are keen to repeat. I hope that these performances will encourage many more people to try opera and discover the magic it creates.”
Call 01438 363200 or visit www.gordon-craig.co.uk for booking details.
- 1 Lasting tribute to schoolgirl after tragic death
- 2 'A day none of us will forget' - Princess Anne visits Lister Hospital
- 3 'Fight for what is yours' - Alyssa Smith Jewellery's message following High Court win
- 4 Crowds flock to Hitchin for Bucklersbury and Sun Street Day
- 5 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 6 Stevenage happy with performance and result against 10-man Crystal Palace
- 7 Letchworth BID responds after manager unexpectedly jailed
- 8 £50 supermarket vouchers available to help families entitled to free school meals
- 9 Christopher Hewett: Teenage boys found guilty of murder and manslaughter
- 10 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?