Venue dedicated to rock
THE Red Lion, at the heart of Stevenage Old Town, is renowned for its sheer dedication to local live rock music. Managed by Wayne and Angeline, both head-over-heels music fans, and with fun-loving bar staff, the pub even has a single named after it by the
THE Red Lion, at the heart of Stevenage Old Town, is renowned for its sheer dedication to local live rock music.
Managed by Wayne and Angeline, both head-over-heels music fans, and with fun-loving bar staff, the pub even has a single named after it by the band Ground Attack.
Here Wayne explains just what his venue is about.
"The main focus of music is rock, from cover bands, tribute bands and, recently, more bands with quality original music," he said.
You may also want to watch:
"Some of the best local bands have played here, including 20 Dead Camels, Gekko, Quarantine and Scavenger's Daughter, to name but a few."
The pub is also known for its support of tribute bands, from those covering Led Zeppelin, The Sex Pistols, and more generic bands such as Replicant, who are playing there on November 17, and for its recent blues addition.
- 1 Motorcyclist dies after crash near Hitchin
- 2 Prime Minister Boris Johnson opens Airbus' new £35 million facility
- 3 Woman suffers facial injuries in pub assault
- 4 Two arrests made after serious assault in town centre
- 5 Hitchin teenager convicted of raping three young people
- 6 Famous faces: A look at Stevenage's most notable people
- 7 Chicken for England! Fast food branch shares inside scoop on feeding our Euros squad
- 8 Treble for Codi Lee-Spavins and three points for Stotfold in victory over Letchworth
- 9 Arlesey school recognised with prestigious inclusion award
- 10 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
"We recently took on the local Sunday night blues club, with blues bands coming to the Red Lion from all over the world.
"With the bands playing only inches away from the audience, it is definitely rocking in yer face and with the customer base aged from 18 to about 80 there is definitely a unique atmosphere here.
"And when the bands are not playing there is our famous jukebox for lovers of rock from the 70s to the latest bands.
"The venue is due for a refurbishment in the new year which will enable it to provide a much improved music venue."
What's more, the live music nights are free and there is plenty of parking space and a large garden at the rear in which to stretch the legs and dance the night away.
And, if that wasn't enough, the pub was recently awarded the prestigious Cask Marque for its quality Greene King ales. Lovely!