Venue dedicated to rock
THE Red Lion, at the heart of Stevenage Old Town, is renowned for its sheer dedication to local live rock music. Managed by Wayne and Angeline, both head-over-heels music fans, and with fun-loving bar staff, the pub even has a single named after it by the
THE Red Lion, at the heart of Stevenage Old Town, is renowned for its sheer dedication to local live rock music.
Managed by Wayne and Angeline, both head-over-heels music fans, and with fun-loving bar staff, the pub even has a single named after it by the band Ground Attack.
Here Wayne explains just what his venue is about.
"The main focus of music is rock, from cover bands, tribute bands and, recently, more bands with quality original music," he said.
You may also want to watch:
"Some of the best local bands have played here, including 20 Dead Camels, Gekko, Quarantine and Scavenger's Daughter, to name but a few."
The pub is also known for its support of tribute bands, from those covering Led Zeppelin, The Sex Pistols, and more generic bands such as Replicant, who are playing there on November 17, and for its recent blues addition.
- 1 What can I do and what opens when COVID lockdown rules ease on Monday, April 12?
- 2 Jail for thief who stole scrap metal worth hundreds
- 3 Where has the Duke of Edinburgh visited in Hertfordshire?
- 4 Have you seen wanted Stevenage man?
- 5 Complaints about Stevenage beauty store made to national fraud agency
- 6 Three household waste collection crews suspended
- 7 'I'm not getting vaccinated yet, but don't call me an anti-vaxxer'
- 8 Lucky Hitchin man wins new Tesla and £30,000
- 9 Abandoned elderly cats found inside taped up box in Stevenage
- 10 Electrical store reopening with competition to win free 50-inch TV
"We recently took on the local Sunday night blues club, with blues bands coming to the Red Lion from all over the world.
"With the bands playing only inches away from the audience, it is definitely rocking in yer face and with the customer base aged from 18 to about 80 there is definitely a unique atmosphere here.
"And when the bands are not playing there is our famous jukebox for lovers of rock from the 70s to the latest bands.
"The venue is due for a refurbishment in the new year which will enable it to provide a much improved music venue."
What's more, the live music nights are free and there is plenty of parking space and a large garden at the rear in which to stretch the legs and dance the night away.
And, if that wasn't enough, the pub was recently awarded the prestigious Cask Marque for its quality Greene King ales. Lovely!