Two Halves of Guinness in Letchworth
A WARTS and all portrayal of one of the world’s best-loved stars comes to the Letchworth GC next week.
Mark Burgess’ play Two Halves of Guinness will be staged at the Letchworth Arts Centre stage on Friday, September 30, as part of its UK tour.
The play is a portrait of Sir Alec Guinness, star of blockbuster films such as Star Wars, Kind Hearts and Coronets and The Bridge on the River Kwai.
The audience joins Sir Alec in the late 1970s, as Star Wars is set to become one of the biggest films of all time, featuring his iconic performance as Obi-Wan Kenobi.
Amid fears that he will be remembered only as a Jedi, Sir Alec reflects on his life and career – both up to and then beyond Star Wars.
The golden days of British film and theatre, of which Sir Alec was so vital a part, form the backdrop as the play provides a whistle-stop tour of his life and times from his first meeting with Sir John Gielgud to the far away galaxies in Star Wars and back again.
During Sir Alec’s stage and screen career he won multiple Tony, Bafta and Academy awards along the way, but Trevor Littledale, as Sir Alec, reveals a shattering insecurity despite all the plaudits.
- 1 Range Rover stopped towing ‘insecure trailer’ on A1(M) in Stevenage
- 2 'Jobs will be lost' if Stevenage TK Maxx fails to relocate
- 3 Police called to concern for welfare after 'youths' seen on Stevenage roof
- 4 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 5 Man wanted in connection with police officer assault could be in Hitchin
- 6 Plans to demolish riding stables to make way for housing
- 7 Lloyds Bank in Letchworth to shut as closures announced across the UK
- 8 Former pub owner admits to food hygiene offences
- 9 Crackdown on anti-social behaviour in Letchworth and Baldock
- 10 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Hertfordshire
Doors open for Two Halves of Guinness at 7.30pm with curtain-up at 8pm.
Tickets are �11 or �9 concessions �9 and are available from the Letchworth Arts Centre on 01462 670788.