Tribute is more than just a sideshow
SIDE BY SIDE BY SONDHEIM at the Gordon Craig Theatre, Stevenage THE only revue ever officially endorsed by lyricist and composer Stephen Sondheim, this was narrated by the multi talented Paul Laidlaw. The audience was treated to an assortment of both famo
SIDE BY SIDE BY SONDHEIM at the Gordon Craig Theatre, Stevenage
THE only revue ever officially endorsed by lyricist and composer Stephen Sondheim, this was narrated by the multi talented Paul Laidlaw. The audience was treated to an assortment of both famous and some quite obscure Sondheim songs
The cast of Nova Skipp, Yvette Robinson and Sarah Payne partnered with Tom Solomon, Paul Baker and Gary Lake were wonderful. Their voices suited the music, whether it was a solo, duet or an ensemble, (which did sometimes seem a little loud with both pianos playing as well). I particularly enjoyed Sarah and Gary's version of You Must Meet My Wife, and Yvette singing Send in the Clowns, an old favourite of mine.
A simple stage design of tables and chairs, plus a neat background and good lighting added atmosphere to the music and suited the evening. Personally I would rather have heard a few more popular songs, I always think there's a reason why some are not played, but it was a lovely show and there's a chance to catch another with lyrics by Sondheim. West Side Story is playing from August 14.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 What can I do and what opens when COVID lockdown rules ease on Monday, April 12?
- 2 Where has the Duke of Edinburgh visited in Hertfordshire?
- 3 Jail for thief who stole scrap metal worth hundreds
- 4 Have you seen wanted Stevenage man?
- 5 Complaints about Stevenage beauty store made to national fraud agency
- 6 Three household waste collection crews suspended
- 7 Electrical store reopening with competition to win free 50-inch TV
- 8 Lucky Hitchin man wins new Tesla and £30,000
- 9 'I'm not getting vaccinated yet, but don't call me an anti-vaxxer'
- 10 Fun fair set for town centre following April 12 reopening