The Wedding Present announce gig at Club 85 in Hitchin
- Credit: Jessica McMillan
The Wedding Present have announced a gig in Hitchin as live music returns to the town.
Presented by Juicebox Live in association with Spider Touring, the indie rock stalwarts will play Club 85 in Whinbush Road on Thursday, September 30.
Championed by the late John Peel, The Wedding Present have scored 18 UK Top 40 hit singles… not bad for a band that has, from its inception, stubbornly refused to play the record industry’s game.
It all started in 1985 when David Lewis Gedge boarded a National Express coach in London with 500 records packed into a pair of his mother's suitcases and, in this fashion, delivered the band's debut single Go Out And Get 'Em, Boy! to a distribution company in Yorkshire.
That pioneering spirit has been at the core of the band’s philosophy ever since.
From 1987 debut album George Best, which featured the Northern Ireland football legend on the cover, the band has charted an appealing, if often eccentric, course of its very own.
Tickets for the band's Club 85 gig cost £25 in advance and are on sale now.
- 1 Famous faces: A look at Stevenage's most notable people
- 2 Our town in pictures: A journey through Stevenage's past and present
- 3 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
- 4 Stevenage through and through - nine generations of family see town transformed
- 5 Video of woman spewing racial hate in Hitchin goes viral
- 6 Regeneration plans submitted to 'breathe new life' into Stevenage retail park
- 7 Man suffers head injury after fall from moving car
- 8 From Silkin's vision to regeneration: How our town has evolved through the years
- 9 Stevenage celebrates its 75th birthday: Editor's letter
- 10 Fit for a Queen! A look back at Stevenage's royal visits