The Matador (15)
PIERCE Brosnan clearly enjoyed himself making his latest movie, The Matador. It s a strange, eccentric comedy that allows him to really get into his role and send up his old James Bond persona. He plays an ageing professional assassin, who is going throu
PIERCE Brosnan clearly enjoyed himself making his latest movie, The Matador.
It's a strange, eccentric comedy that allows him to really get into his role and send up his old James Bond persona.
He plays an ageing professional assassin, who is going through something of a booze-sodden breakdown as he plans the end of his career. While on a job in Mexico, he gets chatting to Greg Kinnear's mid-Western all-round nice guy salesman and the two spark up a bizarre friendship.
When Brosnan takes Kinnear to see a bullfight he reveals what it is he does for a living and even gives his new friend a mock demonstration of his techniques. Things take a twist when some time later Brosnan turns up at Kinnear's all-American home.
You may also want to watch:
The two leads are both very good, with Kinnear very much cast in the straight man role, while Hope Davis, as Kinnear's wife, is every bit their equal.
It's sharply written and directed and pleasing to see something a bit quirky getting made.
- 1 Hitchin teenager convicted of raping three young people
- 2 Motorcyclist dies after crash near Hitchin
- 3 Topping out ceremony marks significant progress to new bus interchange
- 4 Rapist faces 'considerable custodial sentence' after guilty verdict
- 5 Prime Minister Boris Johnson opens Airbus' new £35 million facility
- 6 Herts Council has 'pattern of mishandling children's services complaints'
- 7 Woman suffers facial injuries in pub assault
- 8 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
- 9 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 10 Treble for Codi Lee-Spavins and three points for Stotfold in victory over Letchworth
While it may not be quite up to the standards of the Coen brothers it does have a similar feel to some of their work and that should be recommendation enough.