The Matador (15)
PIERCE Brosnan clearly enjoyed himself making his latest movie, The Matador. It s a strange, eccentric comedy that allows him to really get into his role and send up his old James Bond persona. He plays an ageing professional assassin, who is going throu
PIERCE Brosnan clearly enjoyed himself making his latest movie, The Matador.
It's a strange, eccentric comedy that allows him to really get into his role and send up his old James Bond persona.
He plays an ageing professional assassin, who is going through something of a booze-sodden breakdown as he plans the end of his career. While on a job in Mexico, he gets chatting to Greg Kinnear's mid-Western all-round nice guy salesman and the two spark up a bizarre friendship.
When Brosnan takes Kinnear to see a bullfight he reveals what it is he does for a living and even gives his new friend a mock demonstration of his techniques. Things take a twist when some time later Brosnan turns up at Kinnear's all-American home.
You may also want to watch:
The two leads are both very good, with Kinnear very much cast in the straight man role, while Hope Davis, as Kinnear's wife, is every bit their equal.
It's sharply written and directed and pleasing to see something a bit quirky getting made.
- 1 Body found in search for missing woman
- 2 Movies announced for drive-in cinema's return to Knebworth
- 3 Woman named after pleading guilty to fly-tipping offence
- 4 Primary schools hit back after ex-Ofsted head says teachers should be prepared to 'sacrifice their lives'
- 5 Good Samaritan becomes victim of attempted robbery in Stevenage
- 6 Government curbs council's powers to block new homes
- 7 Person dies after being hit by train near Welwyn Garden City railway station
- 8 Professional artist born out of school lockdown project
- 9 Historic school to close at end of academic year
- 10 COVID-19 cases continue to plummet in Stevenage and North Herts
While it may not be quite up to the standards of the Coen brothers it does have a similar feel to some of their work and that should be recommendation enough.