The Master’s medium dry masterpiece returns to the Henlow stage this weekend
- Credit: Archant
Blithe Spirit run will climax with three more shows
It’s a return to the stage on Friday night for the team at Henlow Theatre as their autumn production of a classic comedy is summoned back to life.
The Henlow Amateur Theatrical Society production of Noel Coward’s Blithe Spirit began its run at the weekend.
Now the cast is back in costume for three more shows, starting on Friday at 7.30pm and followed by a double helping on Saturday – a 2pm matinee as well as an evening performance.
Blithe Spirit, a big theatrical hit before being quickly translated to the big screen by director David Lean with Rex Harrison and Margaret Rutherford in leading roles, is the tangled tale of an urbane author who invites an eccentric medium to his home to help him gather material for his latest book.
You may also want to watch:
Somehow she summons up the spirit of his late first wife, who clearly doesn’t think much of her replacement and proceeds to disrupt the happy home.
There are elements of farce interspersing the Master’s trademark sophisticated dialogue, and some set pieces that have made the show a favourite for revival ever since it first lifted the wartime gloom in the West End in 1941.
- 1 Closure order for Hitchin bungalow following anti-social behaviour
- 2 Demolition work begins on former Matalan site to make way for flats
- 3 Why grass in Stevenage and North Herts public areas isn't cut
- 4 Some bus services set to change to 'build on great network'
- 5 Surprise care home inspection finds residents at risk
- 6 New mental health unit earmarked for Stevenage
- 7 'Music legends' Aswad impress at LGC Live event in town centre
- 8 A family affair and club history make it a special day for Letchworth
- 9 Two people taken to hospital with serious injuries after Clothall Road crash
- 10 From Doctor Foster to Midsomer Murders... North Herts on screen in these BritBox series
The theatre has only 100 seats, so don‘t miss out – you can reserve yours, subject to availability, at www.henlowtheatre.co.uk or call the 01462 700785 or 07876 353677.