The Master’s medium dry masterpiece returns to the Henlow stage this weekend
- Credit: Archant
Blithe Spirit run will climax with three more shows
It’s a return to the stage on Friday night for the team at Henlow Theatre as their autumn production of a classic comedy is summoned back to life.
The Henlow Amateur Theatrical Society production of Noel Coward’s Blithe Spirit began its run at the weekend.
Now the cast is back in costume for three more shows, starting on Friday at 7.30pm and followed by a double helping on Saturday – a 2pm matinee as well as an evening performance.
Blithe Spirit, a big theatrical hit before being quickly translated to the big screen by director David Lean with Rex Harrison and Margaret Rutherford in leading roles, is the tangled tale of an urbane author who invites an eccentric medium to his home to help him gather material for his latest book.
You may also want to watch:
Somehow she summons up the spirit of his late first wife, who clearly doesn’t think much of her replacement and proceeds to disrupt the happy home.
There are elements of farce interspersing the Master’s trademark sophisticated dialogue, and some set pieces that have made the show a favourite for revival ever since it first lifted the wartime gloom in the West End in 1941.
- 1 11-year-old arrested on suspicion of attempted robbery
- 2 Stevenage's Banksy brings another community mural to town's underpasses
- 3 Have you seen this wanted man with links to Stevenage?
- 4 Cyclist suffers bruises to face after being punched in assault
- 5 Persistent town centre beggar and thief sentenced
- 6 Major application submitted for 1,500 new homes on land west of Stevenage
- 7 Man jailed after threatening terrified neighbour with rape and arson
- 8 Former head boy founds charity in Greece to help refugees
- 9 Free parking in Letchworth town centre to welcome back shoppers
- 10 Arrest made after car crashes and overturns in Stevenage
The theatre has only 100 seats, so don‘t miss out – you can reserve yours, subject to availability, at www.henlowtheatre.co.uk or call the 01462 700785 or 07876 353677.