Talented flautist Emma Halnan will be on familiar ground when she performs at a Christmas concert in Letchworth.
- Credit: Archant
It’s a homecoming for former Highfield pupil Emma as she returns to Letchworth for Christmas concert
The former Highfield School student who reached the final of the prestigious 2010 BBC Young Musician of the Year contest in 2010 will be joining the Letchworth Chorale for the celebratory event on Saturday, December 5.
In her developing career Emma has performed as a soloist with the BBC Concert Orchestra, the EU Chamber Orchestra, London Mozart Players and the Welsh Sinfonia.
For her homecoming performance she will play Vivaldi’s flute concerto in D major – knowsn as Il Gardellino or The Goldfinch – under the baton of her former music teacher Kevin McCalman, who is also the Chorale’s music director.
This charming concerto, written for the young girls of the Venetian charity where Vivaldi was music director, captures the call of the bird by the means of gentle and soothing flute decorations.
You may also want to watch:
Present day students and staff from Highfield will also be involved in a performance of Vivaldi’s Gloria and the baroque music theme is completed with Handel’s Dettingen Te Deum, a successor of his more famous Messiah.
This festive and uplifting work, first performed for King George II in November 1743, is an excellent reminder of what an outstanding choral composer Handel was.
- 1 Stevenage's Banksy brings another community mural to town's underpasses
- 2 11-year-old arrested on suspicion of attempted robbery
- 3 Have you seen this wanted man with links to Stevenage?
- 4 Cyclist suffers bruises to face after being punched in assault
- 5 Persistent town centre beggar and thief sentenced
- 6 Major application submitted for 1,500 new homes on land west of Stevenage
- 7 Man jailed after threatening terrified neighbour with rape and arson
- 8 Former head boy founds charity in Greece to help refugees
- 9 Will loss of free parking cause death of high street?
- 10 Free parking in Letchworth town centre to welcome back shoppers
Kevin said: “This is a great programme to end a year of successful and diverse concerts for the Letchworth Chorale and it is also a tremendous privilege to have Emma back to play one of the iconic pieces in the solo flute repertoire.
“It will be a great concert, and is not to be missed!”
The concert will be held at Letchworth Free Church in Norton Way South, starting at 7.30pm.
Tickets are available now from David’s Music in Eastcheap – they’re £12 for adults, £10 concessions and £2 for students.
The Chorale, formerly the Letchworth Garden City Choral Society, has been performing for more than 30 years and welcomes new members. Rehearsals are held on Monday evenings, find out more at www.letchworth-chorale.org.uk.