Talented flautist Emma Halnan will be on familiar ground when she performs at a Christmas concert in Letchworth.
- Credit: Archant
It’s a homecoming for former Highfield pupil Emma as she returns to Letchworth for Christmas concert
The former Highfield School student who reached the final of the prestigious 2010 BBC Young Musician of the Year contest in 2010 will be joining the Letchworth Chorale for the celebratory event on Saturday, December 5.
In her developing career Emma has performed as a soloist with the BBC Concert Orchestra, the EU Chamber Orchestra, London Mozart Players and the Welsh Sinfonia.
For her homecoming performance she will play Vivaldi’s flute concerto in D major – knowsn as Il Gardellino or The Goldfinch – under the baton of her former music teacher Kevin McCalman, who is also the Chorale’s music director.
This charming concerto, written for the young girls of the Venetian charity where Vivaldi was music director, captures the call of the bird by the means of gentle and soothing flute decorations.
You may also want to watch:
Present day students and staff from Highfield will also be involved in a performance of Vivaldi’s Gloria and the baroque music theme is completed with Handel’s Dettingen Te Deum, a successor of his more famous Messiah.
This festive and uplifting work, first performed for King George II in November 1743, is an excellent reminder of what an outstanding choral composer Handel was.
- 1 Tributes after Stevenage Forum co-founder dies
- 2 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 3 Controversial plan for 600 homes forges ahead
- 4 Girl reportedly touched by man while walking home from school
- 5 Have your say on future of high street parking
- 6 Chicken for England! Fast food branch shares inside scoop on feeding our Euros squad
- 7 Councillors deemed 'foolhardy' after being pinged by Test and Trace during meeting
- 8 Have your say on future projects to optimise Letchworth's Greenway
- 9 Hairdressers raise hundreds for hospice
- 10 Helicopter and armed police hunt weapon suspects
Kevin said: “This is a great programme to end a year of successful and diverse concerts for the Letchworth Chorale and it is also a tremendous privilege to have Emma back to play one of the iconic pieces in the solo flute repertoire.
“It will be a great concert, and is not to be missed!”
The concert will be held at Letchworth Free Church in Norton Way South, starting at 7.30pm.
Tickets are available now from David’s Music in Eastcheap – they’re £12 for adults, £10 concessions and £2 for students.
The Chorale, formerly the Letchworth Garden City Choral Society, has been performing for more than 30 years and welcomes new members. Rehearsals are held on Monday evenings, find out more at www.letchworth-chorale.org.uk.