Take a look at Rapunzel the Musical at the Gordon Craig Theatre in Stevenage
- Credit: Archant
New musical Rapunzel had its world premiere in Stevenage on Thursday.
The Easter musical opened its sold-out run at the Gordon Craig Theatre on Thursday afternoon to an appreciative audience.
With book, music and lyrics by director Catherine Lomax, musical director Phil Dennis and choreographer Khiley Williams, the family show runs at the Gordon Craig until Easter Monday.
Take a look at pictures of the production below.
Based on the classic Brothers Grimm fairy tale, Rapunzel returns to the Lytton Way theatre in the summer for a second run from Thursday, July 27 to Sunday, July 30, before then heading out on tour.
The current Stevenage production stars Mike Holoway, who appeared in The Tomorrow People in the 1970s, and Auriol Hatcher as sweet shop owners Karl and Sophia.
Sophia is desperate for a baby of her own. Her husband Karl cannot bear to see her upset any longer and realising their lonely neighbour is their last chance he begs for Gothel’s help.
- 1 Tranmere Rovers against Stevenage off after Storm Arwen damage
- 2 BID releases official statement after cancelling Christmas lights switch-on
- 3 Villagers left waiting over an hour in cold for Arriva buses demand better service
- 4 Yellow warning for snow and wind in Herts as Storm Arwen sweeps in
- 5 Hertfordshire zoo Paradise Wildlife Park to temporarily close to the public in January
- 6 15 adorable rescue pets in Hertfordshire looking for loving new homes this Christmas
- 7 Hitchin named as happiest place to live in the East of England
- 8 How Hertfordshire’s coronavirus figures compare to last year's lockdown
- 9 Driver assaulted in racially aggravated attack following car crash
- 10 Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on: All you need to know
Gothel, played by Cameron Leigh, offers Karl a magic herb from her garden, but the price is high.
Sophia and Karl will get the baby they long for, but on Rapunzel’s 16th birthday she must be returned to Gothel.
Years later, trapped in a tower, the golden-haired Rapunzel (Samantha Noel) has grown into a beautiful and clever young woman but will she ever get out of the tower and return home?
Longing for adventure and freedom and with only Viktor, the woodpecker (James Donovan), for company, how will Rapunzel ever escape?
Can Prince Freddie (Glenn Adamson) save the day or will Rapunzel never make it home?
The show also stars Craig Armstrong as King Constantine, Sharon Eckman as the king’s mum Ida, Adam Shorey as the head courier, and Ryan Owen as Benedict, Prince Freddie’s servant and friend.
• Tickets for Rapunzel The Musical at the Gordon Craig in the summer cost £20, and £65 for a family ticket.
For tickets for the July performances, visit www.gordon-craig.co.uk/rapunzel-i1703
Casting for Rapunzel The Musical playing in July, and then on tour, is still to be announced.