Store's new take on old movies
Be Kind Rewind (12A) MICHEL Gondry s best film by far is Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and it is surely no coincidence that for that film he had a co-writer in the form of Charlie Kaufmann. For his last film, The Science of Sleep, and now his la
Be Kind Rewind (12A)
MICHEL Gondry's best film by far is Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and it is surely no coincidence that for that film he had a co-writer in the form of Charlie Kaufmann.
For his last film, The Science of Sleep, and now his latest, Be Kind Rewind, he is sole writer and there is nobody to rein back his sense of whimsy.
The film tells the story of a downtown video rental shop that resolutely sticks to VHS tapes only. While the owner (Danny Glover) is away trying to save the business, young Mike (Mos Def) is left in charge along with his pal Jerry (Jack Black). The trouble is Jerry has become magnetised by the local power station and accidentally manages to wipe all the tapes in the store. The two have got to do something about it so, with a little help, they set about remaking their own version of films such as Ghostbusters, Rush Hour 2 and Driving Miss Daisy
Black is even more manic than usual and there are no restraints to hold the fillm together. There are funny moments and it is undeniably different but Gondry, talented as he is, really needs to be more disciplined in his film-making to fulfil his potential.
- 1 Tranquil Turtle officially opens with dazzling launch event
- 2 Dangerous paedophile jailed for sexual abuse of vulnerable girl
- 3 Man charged with multiple burglaries after police chase
- 4 Serious collision on A602 injures four
- 5 Christmas markets return to Hitchin
- 6 175-year-old primary school saved after months of uncertainty
- 7 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
- 8 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 9 Christmas Fayre and switch-on attracts hundreds
- 10 Does your MP support drug testing in Parliament?