Stevenage hosts Shakespeare’s As You Like It
ONE of William Shakespeare’s best loved comedies will be performed in Stevenage next week.
The Stevenage Lytton Players will take to the stage for As You Like It from Wednesday to Saturday, April 21.
The play tells the story of heroine Rosalind as she flees persecution of her aunt’s court, accompanied by her cousin Celia and Touchstone the court jester, to find safety and eventually love in the Forest of Arden.
There’s confusion and comedy aplenty along the way as Rosalind has to disguise herself as a man, in a bid to encourage the man she loves to woo her.
Even Touchstone finds love in the forest in the shape of Audrey, a shepherdess whom he manipulates out of the hands of her suitor William.
The play features original compositions of Shakespeare’s songs by Craig Harris and the cast is more than 20-strong
“As with our recent version of The Tempest the cast is a wide age group featuring both adult and youth members of the society,” said director Dave Slade.
- 1 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 2 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 3 Stevenage MP earns over £4,000 per month from other jobs
- 4 Woman on trial over bottles smashed in Aldi store
- 5 High winds stop Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on event
- 6 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 7 Enter Shikari to play Club 85 gig in Hitchin as part of The National Lottery’s Revive Live Tour
- 8 James Bay announces intimate ‘New Songs New Stories’ solo tour for Independent Venue Week
- 9 Missing Letchworth woman found safe and well
- 10 Vegan market returns for final 2021 trade with festive twist
“The set, the costumes, the music, the cast and the wonderful text will make up an enjoyable evening for all the family.”
The four performances of As You Like It will take place at The Lytton Theatre in Vardon Road nightly at 7.45pm.
Tickets are priced at �8.50 with �6 concessions available on Wednesday and next Thursday, April 19.
Call the box office on 01438 357407 or visit www.lyttonplayers.co.uk to book.