Sonisphere 2012 festival headliners and line-up announced for Knebworth
QUEEN, Kiss and Faith No More will exclusively headline this summer’s Sonisphere Festival at Knebworth Park.
The international touring festival returns to the grounds of Knebworth House from Friday, July 6 to Sunday, July 8.
And after weeks of speculation, organisers of the three-day rock and metal event finally revealed their hand this evening (Monday) by confirming the first bands on the Sonisphere 2012 line-up.
Queen, with former American Idol runner-up Adam Lambert filling frontman Freddie Mercury’s shoes, will make a world exclusive headline appearance at the festival’s UK leg on the Saturday night.
The band’s last live show with Mercury was at Knebworth in 1986.
You may also want to watch:
Queen guitarist Brian May said: “Judging by my incoming mail, this decision will make a lot of people very happy.
“It’s a worthy challenge for us, and I’m sure Adam would meet with Freddie’s approval.
- 1 Motorcyclist dies after crash near Hitchin
- 2 Prime Minister Boris Johnson opens Airbus' new £35 million facility
- 3 Woman suffers facial injuries in pub assault
- 4 Two arrests made after serious assault in town centre
- 5 Chicken for England! Fast food branch shares inside scoop on feeding our Euros squad
- 6 Community rallies together to clean up church after 'mindless' vandalism
- 7 Our town in pictures: A journey through Stevenage's past and present
- 8 Brett Donnelly happy with squad building as Stotfold aim for promotion goal
- 9 Famous faces: A look at Stevenage's most notable people
- 10 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
“And what better place to revisit, and walk those emotional paths than Knebworth? It will be a rush.”
Kiss, best known for hits Crazy Crazy Nights and God Gave Rock and Roll To You II, will also bring their pyrotechnics to Knebworth Park this summer.
The flamboyant, face-painted American rockers will bring their stage extravaganza to Sonisphere on the opening Friday night for their only European performance of 2012.
Fellow Americans Faith No More will close the Apollo stage on the Sunday with their only UK concert of the year.
Joining the three headliners are some of the biggest names from the world of rock and metal.
Evanescence, Incubus, Refused, Marilyn Manson and Within Temptation will all make their only UK appearances of 2012 at Sonisphere Knebworth.
Also on the bill are Mastodon, The Darkness, Andrew WK, Cypress Hill, Wolfmother, The Blackout, Lacuna Coil, Switchfoot, Katatonia, Gojira, Ghost, I Killed The Prom Queen, Flogging Molly and Stevenage goth rockers Fields of the Nephilim.
And following the success of comedian Bill Bailey’s high-profile slot last year, Sonisphere welcomes back musician/comedian Tim Minchin to headline the Saturday night on the Saturn stage before Queen.
Sonisphere tickets go on sale to the public from 9am on Thursday.
Go to www.sonispherefestivals.com for more details.
* See Wednesday’s Welwyn Hatfield Times for more Sonisphere news and keep checking back at www.whtimes24.co.uk for the latest festival line-up and ticket details.