Shuttleworth Collection celebrate naval aviation in skies over Old Warden
- Credit: Archant
The Shuttleworth Collection celebrated naval aviation with their Fly Navy Day last weekend.
Supported by the Navy Wings charity – a host of historical aircraft roared through the skies over Old Warden, wowing crowds on the ground.
A number of Second World War Royal Navy aircraft were on display, with the Vought Corsair and Grumman Wildcat from Duxford’s Fighter Collection soaring overhead, while the Hawker Sea Fury and Fairey Swordfish also flew.
Air show favourites, the Avro Lancaster, Supermarine Spitfire and Hawker Hurricane took to the air as well.
Favourable weather allowed Shuttleworth’s renonwed Edwardian aircraft to get off the ground, with the Bristol Boxkite and Avro Triplane formation delighting onlookers, followed by displays from the Blackburn Monoplane and Deperdussin Mononplane to close out the show.
There was plenty to see and do on the ground, with a static Agusta Westland Merlin helicopter on show while a trio of Avro 504K biplanes lined up together for the first time at Old Warden.
The Shuttleworth Collection’s next air show is the June Evening Air show on June 16. Visit shuttleworth.org/events/june-evening-airshow/ for more.
- 1 A1(M) closed in both directions due to fallen cables
- 2 Stevenage MP earns over £4,000 per month from other jobs
- 3 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 4 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 5 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 6 Closures lifted on A1(M) after emergency services deem road safe
- 7 Woman on trial over bottles smashed in Aldi store
- 8 Anti-spiking campaign launched at Old Town pub
- 9 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 10 High winds stop Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on event