WestFest: Soul food and samba as Rhythms of the World ramps up Hitchin community comeback
- Credit: Archant
Live tunes, Southern soul food and Brazilian samba dancing – that’s just some of what will be on offer in Hitchin when Rhythms of the World returns for WestFest.
Westmill Community Centre will host the free festival of art and music – billed as the first Rhythms of the World neighbourhood event – from 2pm on Saturday, September 30.
There will be family activities and workshops during the afternoon, with the new soft-play area in full swing and Hitchin’s very own Soul Shack serving the best Southern food this side of the Mississippi.
Letchworth’s Garden City Samba will provide a Brazilian music and dance workshop, among other art and music experiences on offer for all the family.
In the evening, the area will be cleared for live music and a licensed bar – with disco and funk band Huggy Flares headlining alongside The Voice’s Lawrence Hill, rock covers band The Unknowns and atmospheric folk act Banshee Echo.
WestFest is the first event of 2017 from Rhythms of the World as the team rebuilds ahead of a full return to the community in 2018.
Rhythms’ head trustee Michael Woodward said: “We had a fantastic response to our appeal for public support in July, and we’re delighted that new supporters have joined our existing volunteers and the team at Westmill Community Centre to create an exciting programme of activities throughout the day.
- 1 Stevenage Major Works: Leaseholders sent final bills
- 2 North Herts deputy council leader Paul Clark passes away from COVID-19
- 3 Trust calls out council for causing 'uncertainty and chaos' by disrupting two-tier conversion
- 4 Prince Philip death joke tweets sparks probe as councillor leaves party
- 5 Downing Street: Our MPs' responses to alleged illegal Christmas party
- 6 175-year-old primary school saved after months of uncertainty
- 7 Turkeys for sale on Facebook ruffles feathers
- 8 Tranquil Turtle officially opens with dazzling launch event
- 9 Man charged with multiple burglaries after police chase
- 10 Christmas markets return to Hitchin
“There will be a traditional Rhythms festival feel in the evening.”
See rotw.org.uk/westfest for more.