Red Herrings and White Elephants By Albert Jack
EVERYTHING is shipshape and Bristol fashion in this fascinating book about the origins of the everyday phrases which help colour our language. If you ve ever wondered why you re three sheets to the wind when you ve had too much to drink or you have the ha
EVERYTHING is shipshape and Bristol fashion in this fascinating book about the origins of the everyday phrases which help colour our language.
If you've ever wondered why you're three sheets to the wind when you've had too much to drink or you have the hair of the dog the next day to make you feel better, then this is the place to find out.
Clearly divided into sections including nautical, sport and Bible phrases, the book also has an index for quick reference.
Enjoyable to read cover to cover, flick through from time or look up specific phrases when you just can't figure out where they could have come from.
You may also want to watch:
Thanks to Ottakar's of Stevenage. 4/5
- 1 Letchworth BID responds after manager unexpectedly jailed
- 2 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 3 Stevenage unveil Amazon's Prime Gaming as new sponsors on new kit
- 4 Christopher Hewett: Teenage boys found guilty of murder and manslaughter
- 5 Walk-in vaccine slots available this week
- 6 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 7 How many people in our area have been 'pinged' by NHS COVID app?
- 8 Tributes after Stevenage Forum co-founder dies
- 9 Girl reportedly touched by man while walking home from school
- 10 Tributes to Poppy Appeal stalwart and 'true gentleman' Les Mortimer