IF YOU want exciting peril on the sea special effects, look no further than Wolfgang Petersen. The director, who first made his name with the brilliant submarine drama Das Boot and who was also behind The Perfect Storm, has set about remaking the classic
IF YOU want exciting peril on the sea special effects, look no further than Wolfgang Petersen.
The director, who first made his name with the brilliant submarine drama Das Boot and who was also behind The Perfect Storm, has set about remaking the classically cheesy 1972 disaster movie The Poseidon Adventure and, as you would expect, the watery action is very well handled indeed.
Petersen's approach has been to strip the story down to basics, even the name of the film becoming the stark Poseidon. There's little scene setting before a freak wave hits the eponymous luxury cruise liner, flipping it upside down and leaving our cast of clichéd characters to try to save themselves.
There's former mayor and former firefighter Kurt Russell, travelling with his daughter and there's professional gambler and wide boy Josh Lucas. There's suicidal gay architect Richard Dreyfuss and there's pretty stowaway Mia Maestro. There are plenty of others around too and in the brief breaks between the action set pieces you can decide between yourselves which of them are going to make it through to the end of the movie.
You may also want to watch:
The dialogue is, of course, appalling - what else would you expect from a disaster movie? But Poseidon moves along at a rip-roaring pace and if it's just action thrills you want you're in the right place.
- 1 Major application submitted for 1,500 new homes on land west of Stevenage
- 2 Man left seriously injured after motorcycle crash
- 3 Will loss of free parking cause death of high street?
- 4 Venue loss forces lifeline community group to close
- 5 Baby boutique born in lockdown welcomes first customers
- 6 Bringing home the bacon: Martyn's joy at Radio 1 rasher fame
- 7 Arson attack causes thousands of pounds worth of damage to rural Herts pub
- 8 Plan to transform Baldock pub in to block of six flats is approved
- 9 Decision for development off Letchworth country lane deferred
- 10 Is the era of face-to-face GP appointments over in Hertfordshire?