Photographer and Olympic torchbearer hosts Stevenage exhibition
A PHOTOGRAPHER and former British athlete is hosting a hometown exhibition of his latest work.
Stevenage resident Fred Gormer returned to the Boxfield Gallery at Stevenage Arts and Leisure Centre on Friday for his third exhibition entitled Illumination.
Fred, who has been named as an Olympic torchbearer for his involvement in sport, has used a number of different techniques for the month-long exhibition, which features 60 photographs.
The 62-year-old, who has represented Great Britain at 5,000m and cross country, told Venue: “I have a love for travel photography particularly in the United States of America. Travel and photography form a perfect and complementary partnership documenting what is in our beautiful world.
“To obtain the photographs for this exhibition I have once again visited the cities, mountains, the desert, forest, lakes and even in my studio. For a bit of fun I travelled 230 miles round trip to get just one image.
“Although I have been a photographer since I was a boy I still get excited by taking photographs, they can excite, flatter, bring on emotions and of course evoke memories of what that particular image means to an individual.”
Fred Gormer’s Illumination runs until April 22 and is free to attend at the centre in Lytton Way.
- 1 BID releases official statement after cancelling Christmas lights switch-on
- 2 Tranmere Rovers against Stevenage off after Storm Arwen damage
- 3 Villagers left waiting over an hour in cold for Arriva buses demand better service
- 4 Yellow warning for snow and wind in Herts as Storm Arwen sweeps in
- 5 Hertfordshire zoo Paradise Wildlife Park to temporarily close to the public in January
- 6 How Hertfordshire’s coronavirus figures compare to last year's lockdown
- 7 15 adorable rescue pets in Hertfordshire looking for loving new homes this Christmas
- 8 Hitchin named as happiest place to live in the East of England
- 9 Driver assaulted in racially aggravated attack following car crash
- 10 Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on: All you need to know