Pedal down to Hitchin bookshop on Saturday to meet epic cyclist Anna
- Credit: Archant
The evenings are getting lighter, the weather is getting warmer – time to get the bike out of the shed and hit the road.
But few of us will go as far as author and cycling enthusiast Anna Hughes – a former pupil at Letchworth’s Highfield School and a sixth form student at Knights Templar School in Baldock.
She decided on a 4,000 mile solo ride around the coast of the UK, following the river from London until it became the sea, then following the sea until it reached the mouth of the Thames again.
Along the way there were epic highs, incredible lows, stunning scenery and unpronounceable place names – as well as regular battles with some good old British weather.
And her simple idea became a compelling journey of self-discovery and an eye-opening insight into what makes her homeland so special.
You may also want to watch:
She’ll be signing copies of the book born out of that epic ride – East, Sleep, Cycle – at Eric T. Moore Books in Bridge Street, Hitchin, from 2pm to 4pm on Saturday afternoon.
Shop owner Alison Fell-Gordon said: “Anna writes exceptionally well – you can see the places in your mind’s eye, you can smell the fish and chips and the gorgeous sea air and you can feel her frustration when she makes mistakes.
- 1 Stevenage welcomes back shoppers as lockdown restrictions ease
- 2 Former Premier League footballer vows to help local club after 'awful' fire
- 3 Police crack down on street drinking in Stevenage
- 4 Campaigner calls for council tax refund as littering continues in North Herts
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of harassment after Stevenage and Preston incidents
- 6 Busy first day for hospice's new children's store in Stevenage
- 7 April 12: Businesses' joy at emerging from our third and final lockdown
- 8 Who is Slove? Spate of Stevenage graffiti prompts police appeal
- 9 Standalone Farm welcomes families back with host of new activities
- 10 Have you seen missing man from Stevenage?
“It is a light and fun easy read and perfect to take on holiday. It’s Bill Bryson on wheels.”