Pedal down to Hitchin bookshop on Saturday to meet epic cyclist Anna
- Credit: Archant
The evenings are getting lighter, the weather is getting warmer – time to get the bike out of the shed and hit the road.
But few of us will go as far as author and cycling enthusiast Anna Hughes – a former pupil at Letchworth’s Highfield School and a sixth form student at Knights Templar School in Baldock.
She decided on a 4,000 mile solo ride around the coast of the UK, following the river from London until it became the sea, then following the sea until it reached the mouth of the Thames again.
Along the way there were epic highs, incredible lows, stunning scenery and unpronounceable place names – as well as regular battles with some good old British weather.
And her simple idea became a compelling journey of self-discovery and an eye-opening insight into what makes her homeland so special.
You may also want to watch:
She’ll be signing copies of the book born out of that epic ride – East, Sleep, Cycle – at Eric T. Moore Books in Bridge Street, Hitchin, from 2pm to 4pm on Saturday afternoon.
Shop owner Alison Fell-Gordon said: “Anna writes exceptionally well – you can see the places in your mind’s eye, you can smell the fish and chips and the gorgeous sea air and you can feel her frustration when she makes mistakes.
- 1 Surprise care home inspection finds residents at risk
- 2 Lasting tribute to schoolgirl after tragic death
- 3 Crowds flock to Hitchin for Bucklersbury and Sun Street Day
- 4 'A day none of us will forget' - Princess Anne visits Lister Hospital
- 5 Why grass in Stevenage and North Herts public areas isn't cut
- 6 Two people taken to hospital with serious injuries after Clothall Road crash
- 7 Officers investigating vehicle interferences urge victims to come forward
- 8 The beach is back! Hitchin to welcome the return of sun and sand for the ultimate staycation
- 9 'Fight for what is yours' - Alyssa Smith Jewellery's message following High Court win
- 10 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
“It is a light and fun easy read and perfect to take on holiday. It’s Bill Bryson on wheels.”