Ones to watch - Miranda and Rex tick Hitchin box as they clock on for folk club session
- Credit: Archant
Tales of love and loss will be the focus at Hitchin Folk Club’s regular Sunday night session next week.
Taking to the stage at the town’s Sun Hotel on Sunday, April 3, will be Miranda Sykes & Rex Preston, who are on tour supporting the release of new album The Watchmaker’s Wife.
Flame-haired Miranda is probably best known for her work in recent years with Show of Hands, and is renowned as an exceptional double bass player and guitarist with a crystal clear voice.
Mandolin player Rex is prized for his fluid style and improvisational skills – and his bouzouki skills, too.
Together they have become one of the most sought-after duos on the English folk/roots scene.
You may also want to watch:
The album, which only went on sale a few weeks ago, is a collection which combines traditional tunes delivered in a way that maintains their dignity, original compositions with very modern arrangements and covers which are given a vibrant and edgy feel.
The pair didn’t set out to create an album with love and loss as a theme, but in the thick of it all, when they just sat back and let out what came naturally, that’s what they got.
- 1 Hitchin teenager convicted of raping three young people
- 2 Motorcyclist dies after crash near Hitchin
- 3 Prime Minister Boris Johnson opens Airbus' new £35 million facility
- 4 Woman suffers facial injuries in pub assault
- 5 Two arrests made after serious assault in town centre
- 6 Rapist faces 'considerable custodial sentence' after guilty verdict
- 7 Topping out ceremony marks significant progress to new bus interchange
- 8 Treble for Codi Lee-Spavins and three points for Stotfold in victory over Letchworth
- 9 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 10 Herts Council has 'pattern of mishandling children's services complaints'
As usual, doors open at the Sun Street venue at 7.30pm with music scheduled to start at 8.15pm.
Tickets are £12 for members, £14 for guests, and there’s support from Martin Kaszak. Visit www.hitchinfolkclub.co.uk for more details and to find out what else is on the folk club calendar.