North Herts’ young musicians in concert
YOUNG musicians from North Hertfordshire are set to start spring on the right note for two concerts organised by Hertfordshire County Council’s music service.
The massed brass and wind band concert, featuring three music centre choirs, takes place at Letchworth GC’s Spirella Ballroom on Saturday from 7.30pm.
The wind ensembles, brass bands and choirs from the Saturday morning music schools at Hitchin, Stevenage and Royston music centres, will be led by the Senior Wind Band.
They will be performing popular songs including Could It Be Magic and Something Inside So Strong, when they will be joined by the choirs on vocals.
Tickets, priced at �6 and �3 concessions, are available from Stevenage Music Centre by calling 01438 351138 or North Herts Music School on 01462 434052.
On Monday the Peter Lambourne Bursary Concert takes place at Benslow Music Trust in Hitchin.
The competition is run jointly by North Herts Music School in association with Hitchin Priory Rotary Club which funds the main prize of �250, and Penny Brooke, who has generously donated a runner-up prize of �100.
- 1 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 2 Steve Evans begins Stevenage revolution with three new signings
- 3 New opening date for Stevenage Geek Retreat
- 4 Man threatened woman with samurai sword before sex attack in Letchworth
- 5 Rejoice! American landlady saves Charlton's historic Windmill pub
- 6 The Queen's Platinum Jubilee: How are our areas celebrating?
- 7 A505 driver left with serious injuries after car leaves road near Hitchin
- 8 Letchworth Outdoor Pool suffers two break-ins ahead of opening
- 9 Hitchin to host Platinum Jubilee Carnival to honour Queen
- 10 'Jobs will be lost' if Stevenage TK Maxx fails to relocate
There will be nine participants, all in Year 12 from schools in the area, who will be competing for the bursary.
The concert starts at 6pm and is free to attend.
The performances follow two previous evenings in Hitchin during the past week featuring North Herts Youth Orchestra and North Herts Jazz groups from Stevenage and Hitchin.
Cllr Frances Button, cabinet member for education and skills, said: “Hertfordshire County Council’s music service enjoys an excellent reputation because of great events such as these.
“The spring concerts are a great opportunity for members of the public to enjoy some wonderful music and see the wealth of musical talent we have in the county.”