No need to ration the fun for Standalone Farm’s sessions turning back the clock to wartime years
- Credit: Archant
With a welter of key Second World War anniversaries being celebrated this year, here’s a chance to step back in time to experience life on the Home Front in the 1940s.
Letchworth’s Standalone Farm is turning back the clock to offer families the chance to get a flavour of the days before 21st century comforts were commonplace, food was rationed and everyone had to make do and mend.
The celebration of the huge Home Front effort will be marked next week by five days of Dig for Victory activities.
Children can enjoy themed arts and crafts activities where they will be able to create food stamps and explore the farm by digging for their own rations.
Families can also take part in daily cooking sessions and learn how to make typical wartime recipes like potato and carrot jam with Hitchin-based company CookeryEatery.
You may also want to watch:
There will be regular storytelling sessions as well as hay mazes, giant dominos, and egg and spoon and sack races taking place throughout the day.
Farm manager Andrew Milich said: “The Dig for Victory week will offer families a really fun and authentic experience at Standalone Farm.
- 1 CCTV appeal after fraud incident in Stevenage
- 2 Have you seen missing Hitchin woman?
- 3 Primary schools hit back after ex-Ofsted head says teachers should be prepared to 'sacrifice their lives'
- 4 Missing Stevenage teen found
- 5 More than £250,000 funding agreed for new Stevenage school
- 6 Five Guys to open as lockdown restrictions ease
- 7 When will outdoor pools be reopening in Letchworth and Hitchin?
- 8 Historic school to close at end of academic year
- 9 Town's multi-million pound investment is 'once in a generation' opportunity
- 10 Development plans for 16.5-acre Stevenage site could create 1,000 jobs
“The cooking and craft activities are a great way to introduce young children to an extraordinary period in British history.”
These special events are running alongside the farm’s animal handling sessions, regular farmyard activities and demonstrations including a chance to ride on a tractor trailer.
You can find out full details online of opening times and prices online at www.standalonefarm.com.