Nine Below Zero duo set for acoustic concert
- Credit: Cristina Arrigoni
Two founder members of cult rhythm and blues band Nine Below Zero will be performing a special gig in Stevenage.
Fresh from supporting the legendary Squeeze on their recent UK tour with the expanded Nine Below Zero Big Band, Dennis Greaves and Mark Feltham are going back to their blues roots.
They will be making a welcome return to The Crown in Aston End on Friday, December 1 for an intimate, acoustic concert as a duo.
Nine Below Zero shot to fame after appearing on the first episode of the BBC comedy The Young Ones.
Harmonica player Mark Feltham’s CV reads like a who’s who of music.
You may also want to watch:
He has played with Oasis, Robbie Williams, Squeeze, Texas, Rory Gallagher, The Lightning Seeds and New Model Army to name a few.
Mark even appeared on stage with Noel and Liam Gallagher when Oasis played their 1996 gigs at Knebworth Park.
- 1 Hitchin teenager convicted of raping three young people
- 2 Motorcyclist dies after crash near Hitchin
- 3 Prime Minister Boris Johnson opens Airbus' new £35 million facility
- 4 Woman suffers facial injuries in pub assault
- 5 Two arrests made after serious assault in town centre
- 6 Rapist faces 'considerable custodial sentence' after guilty verdict
- 7 Topping out ceremony marks significant progress to new bus interchange
- 8 Treble for Codi Lee-Spavins and three points for Stotfold in victory over Letchworth
- 9 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 10 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
The love of the blues began at an early age for both Mark and Dennis.
Two of Dennis’ uncles were huge fans, and both had big collections of blues albums.
It was listening to these records that encouraged NBZ’s frontman to first pick up the guitar.
Mark on the other hand had an uncle in the Merchant Navy, who used to bring him back harmonicas from his travels overseas.
The pair first met in the late 1970s, during the punk era, when Dennis decided to form a blues band and Mark was recommended to him as a harmonica player.
By an amazing coincidence it turned out they were not only living on the same estate in South London, but also just 14 houses apart.
For their gig at The Crown, they will be covering songs by blues legends such as Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee, Jimmy Reed, Slim Harpo and Leadbelly.
They will also play unplugged versions of well-known Nine Below Zero material.
Dennis said: “With these shows we are really trying to go back to the stripped down simplicity of early blues being played in its rawest form on acoustic instruments.
“To see Mark perform in this environment is truly a masterclass and it’s a little daunting for me, to be playing acoustic guitar. No hiding behind the Marshall amp!”
The evening will be raising money for the charity Enough Abuse UK.
Tickets are priced at £20, which includes a Christmas-themed Street Food buffet.
Doors to the Aston End venue open at 7pm.
• To reserve tickets, call 01438 880060 or email email@example.com