New music courses to inspire
Two projects take place next week for the first time in the area, giving expert tuition to musicians and singers.
A Music For You summer school begins on Monday – offering a folk course for a range of instruments taught by respected players Stewart Hardy (fiddle), Karen Tweed (piano accordion), Kevin Demsey (guitar), Jo Freya (multi-instrumentalist) and Carolyn Robson (vocals).
Organiser Dawn Bradley-Buxton said musicians and their families can come to the course at The Mansion House at Shuttleworth College for a day or the whole three days.
“You can join in with the workshops, ensembles, ceilidhs and sessions. Whether you are an experienced folk musician or just enjoy the genre this course is for you,” she said.
A jazz course runs at the same venue from August 12 to 18 with BBC Jazz Musician of the Year 2011, Dave Newton.
Folk course day tickets are �40 per day, or �99 for three. Children under-10 go free.
For tickets and information on camping and accommodation go to www.musicforyousummerschools.co.uk
- 1 A1(M) closed in both directions due to fallen cables
- 2 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 3 Stevenage MP earns over £4,000 per month from other jobs
- 4 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 5 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 6 Closures lifted on A1(M) after emergency services deem road safe
- 7 Woman on trial over bottles smashed in Aldi store
- 8 Anti-spiking campaign launched at Old Town pub
- 9 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 10 High winds stop Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on event
Actor and singer Nathan Stickley has set up a new project called Hertsbeats to provide singers and bands with musical and performance development.
From Monday to Saturday next week volunteer music tutors and producers from across the area will be at St Mary’s Catholic School in Bishops Stortford to teach and inspire, Nathan said.
“The project is hopefully the first of many in the area and is designed to support local talent and raise the profile of the area’s music scene. There is a huge wealth of musical talent in Herts and I wanted to create something to give a bit of help.”
The course costs �150 for individuals and �125 for band members.
Call Nathan on 07780 992643 for more or email email@example.com