New music courses to inspire
Two projects take place next week for the first time in the area, giving expert tuition to musicians and singers.
A Music For You summer school begins on Monday – offering a folk course for a range of instruments taught by respected players Stewart Hardy (fiddle), Karen Tweed (piano accordion), Kevin Demsey (guitar), Jo Freya (multi-instrumentalist) and Carolyn Robson (vocals).
Organiser Dawn Bradley-Buxton said musicians and their families can come to the course at The Mansion House at Shuttleworth College for a day or the whole three days.
“You can join in with the workshops, ensembles, ceilidhs and sessions. Whether you are an experienced folk musician or just enjoy the genre this course is for you,” she said.
A jazz course runs at the same venue from August 12 to 18 with BBC Jazz Musician of the Year 2011, Dave Newton.
Folk course day tickets are �40 per day, or �99 for three. Children under-10 go free.
For tickets and information on camping and accommodation go to www.musicforyousummerschools.co.uk
- 1 'Jobs will be lost' if Stevenage TK Maxx fails to relocate
- 2 Range Rover stopped towing ‘insecure trailer’ on A1(M) in Stevenage
- 3 Man wanted in connection with police officer assault could be in Hitchin
- 4 Plans to demolish riding stables to make way for housing
- 5 Lloyds Bank in Letchworth to shut as closures announced across the UK
- 6 Crackdown on anti-social behaviour in Letchworth and Baldock
- 7 World IBD Day: Crohn's disease sufferer speaks out
- 8 VOTE: Which is your favourite chip shop in all of Hertfordshire?
- 9 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Hertfordshire
- 10 Taste buds at the ready! Letchworth's Food and Drink Festival is back
Actor and singer Nathan Stickley has set up a new project called Hertsbeats to provide singers and bands with musical and performance development.
From Monday to Saturday next week volunteer music tutors and producers from across the area will be at St Mary’s Catholic School in Bishops Stortford to teach and inspire, Nathan said.
“The project is hopefully the first of many in the area and is designed to support local talent and raise the profile of the area’s music scene. There is a huge wealth of musical talent in Herts and I wanted to create something to give a bit of help.”
The course costs �150 for individuals and �125 for band members.
Call Nathan on 07780 992643 for more or email email@example.com