More than sport at Shorty’s bar
EVERY Sunday evening, from around 8.30pm, Shorty s Sports Bar in Hitchin s Queen Street hosts Shorty s Sunday Sessions, featuring a fine array of talent, some local and some not so. Local promoter Gareth Ross explains: We book a headline act for every S
EVERY Sunday evening, from around 8.30pm, Shorty's Sports Bar in Hitchin's Queen Street hosts Shorty's Sunday Sessions, featuring a fine array of talent, some local and some not so.
Local promoter Gareth Ross explains:
"We book a headline act for every Sunday. Acts are usually acoustic but we have been willing to bend and even break the rules, on occasions.
"They take the stage at 9.30pm but anybody is welcome to turn up and play a 20-minute slot, to fill the hour beforehand.
"If you're interested, just make sure you turn up before 8pm on the night unless you have contacted me beforehand.
"There's no payment for any of the acts but the landlord will provide free beer for performers who make themselves known to the bar staff.
- 1 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 2 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 3 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 4 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 5 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
- 6 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 7 College releases statement after medical incident sparks social media rumours
- 8 Met police officer pleads not guilty to 20 charges including seven rapes
- 9 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 10 A taste of what's to come: We look at Tranquil Turtle's menu ahead of opening
"There's a large, low-level stage, a PA and lighting, and our soundman Ash can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
"This Sunday, the show includes Ady and Fireflies.
"Upcoming highlights include The Vicious Cabaret, one of the best bands around, who headline on March 19, guitar genius Gaz Twist, who has the audience spellbound, on April 9, and blues band Ten Days Unshaven, who get the place jumping, on May 28."
"We're also involved as part of the Rhythms of the World fringe festival this year, showcasing bands and artists on Sunday July 16.
"There are seven 45-minute slots available and, as tradition now dictates, The Vicious Cabaret will be headlining for a perfect end to the weekend's festival."
Performers interested in playing any of the above events, either as headliners or support acts, or anyone who would like to find out more, can contact Gareth on 07970 122260, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org