Merchant’s sinking feeling
SHAKESPEARE S The Merchant of Venice will be performed at Hitchin s Queen Mother Theatre. Presented by theatre company OVO, The Merchant of Venice is timeless with its themes of justice, mercy and the role of money in society. A young Venetian, Bassanio,
SHAKESPEARE'S The Merchant of Venice will be performed at Hitchin's Queen Mother Theatre.
Presented by theatre company OVO, The Merchant of Venice is timeless with its themes of justice, mercy and the role of money in society.
A young Venetian, Bassanio, asks his friend, the merchant Antonio, for money to finance a trip to woo the beautiful Portia in Belmont.
Reluctant to refuse his friend, Antonio borrows the money from a Jewish moneylender - Shylock.
If Antonio cannot repay the debt when asked, Shylock says he will demand a pound of his flesh.
When all Antonio's ships are lost at sea, Shylock calls in his debt, and the love and laughter of the first scenes of the play threaten to give way to tragedy.
- 1 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 2 New opening date for Stevenage Geek Retreat
- 3 Steve Evans begins Stevenage revolution with three new signings
- 4 Audi driver in his 20s killed in crash with lorry on A507 near Shefford
- 5 Rejoice! American landlady saves Charlton's historic Windmill pub
- 6 Man threatened woman with samurai sword before sex attack in Letchworth
- 7 The Queen's Platinum Jubilee: How are our areas celebrating?
- 8 North Herts grass verge cutting to be reduced
- 9 Letchworth Outdoor Pool suffers two break-ins ahead of opening
- 10 Platinum Jubilee: postbox toppers appear for celebrations
OVO specialises in stripped-down Shakespeare - fast, lively and accessible - with live music.
The performance takes place at 7.45pm on Friday and Saturday, April 27 and April 28.
Tickets, at £10 and £8 for concessions, are available from the box office on 01462 455166.