Merchant’s sinking feeling
SHAKESPEARE S The Merchant of Venice will be performed at Hitchin s Queen Mother Theatre. Presented by theatre company OVO, The Merchant of Venice is timeless with its themes of justice, mercy and the role of money in society. A young Venetian, Bassanio,
SHAKESPEARE'S The Merchant of Venice will be performed at Hitchin's Queen Mother Theatre.
Presented by theatre company OVO, The Merchant of Venice is timeless with its themes of justice, mercy and the role of money in society.
A young Venetian, Bassanio, asks his friend, the merchant Antonio, for money to finance a trip to woo the beautiful Portia in Belmont.
Reluctant to refuse his friend, Antonio borrows the money from a Jewish moneylender - Shylock.
You may also want to watch:
If Antonio cannot repay the debt when asked, Shylock says he will demand a pound of his flesh.
When all Antonio's ships are lost at sea, Shylock calls in his debt, and the love and laughter of the first scenes of the play threaten to give way to tragedy.
- 1 Motorcyclist dies after crash near Hitchin
- 2 Prime Minister Boris Johnson opens Airbus' new £35 million facility
- 3 Hitchin teenager convicted of raping three young people
- 4 Woman suffers facial injuries in pub assault
- 5 Two arrests made after serious assault in town centre
- 6 Famous faces: A look at Stevenage's most notable people
- 7 Chicken for England! Fast food branch shares inside scoop on feeding our Euros squad
- 8 Treble for Codi Lee-Spavins and three points for Stotfold in victory over Letchworth
- 9 Arlesey school recognised with prestigious inclusion award
- 10 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
OVO specialises in stripped-down Shakespeare - fast, lively and accessible - with live music.
The performance takes place at 7.45pm on Friday and Saturday, April 27 and April 28.
Tickets, at £10 and £8 for concessions, are available from the box office on 01462 455166.