Merchant’s sinking feeling
SHAKESPEARE S The Merchant of Venice will be performed at Hitchin s Queen Mother Theatre. Presented by theatre company OVO, The Merchant of Venice is timeless with its themes of justice, mercy and the role of money in society. A young Venetian, Bassanio,
SHAKESPEARE'S The Merchant of Venice will be performed at Hitchin's Queen Mother Theatre.
Presented by theatre company OVO, The Merchant of Venice is timeless with its themes of justice, mercy and the role of money in society.
A young Venetian, Bassanio, asks his friend, the merchant Antonio, for money to finance a trip to woo the beautiful Portia in Belmont.
Reluctant to refuse his friend, Antonio borrows the money from a Jewish moneylender - Shylock.
You may also want to watch:
If Antonio cannot repay the debt when asked, Shylock says he will demand a pound of his flesh.
When all Antonio's ships are lost at sea, Shylock calls in his debt, and the love and laughter of the first scenes of the play threaten to give way to tragedy.
- 1 What can I do and what opens when COVID lockdown rules ease on Monday, April 12?
- 2 Inside the breathtaking £2.6million historic house that has its own 'party barn'
- 3 Where has the Duke of Edinburgh visited in Hertfordshire?
- 4 Three household waste collection crews suspended
- 5 Jail for thief who stole scrap metal worth hundreds
- 6 Have you seen wanted Stevenage man?
- 7 Fun fair set for town centre following April 12 reopening
- 8 Unbeaten run over but Alex Revell disappointed with manner of Salford defeat
- 9 Complaints about Stevenage beauty store made to national fraud agency
- 10 Electrical store reopening with competition to win free 50-inch TV
OVO specialises in stripped-down Shakespeare - fast, lively and accessible - with live music.
The performance takes place at 7.45pm on Friday and Saturday, April 27 and April 28.
Tickets, at £10 and £8 for concessions, are available from the box office on 01462 455166.