Open auditions for The Producers at Gordon Craig Theatre in Stevenage
- Credit: Archant
Fancy starring in Mel Brooks musical The Producers on stage in Stevenage?
Open auditions for ensemble roles in the production are being held on Sunday, June 11 at the Gordon Craig Theatre.
The theatre in Lytton Way is located on the first floor of the Stevenage Arts and Leisure Centre.
The venue is adjacent to the Tesco Superstore, and within one minute’s walk from Stevenage Railway Station or bus station.
The auditions are being held from 3pm to 7pm – and prospective cast members are asked to arrive at least 20 minutes before to register.
You may also want to watch:
All applicants must be:
• Aged 16 and over at the start of rehearsals
- 1 Regeneration plans submitted to 'breathe new life' into Stevenage retail park
- 2 Video of woman spewing racial hate in Hitchin goes viral
- 3 Man suffers head injury after fall from moving car
- 4 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
- 5 From Doctor Foster to Midsomer Murders... North Herts on screen in these BritBox series
- 6 Bomb squad attends residential street in Letchworth
- 7 From Silkin's vision to regeneration: How our town has evolved through the years
- 8 Proposed 5G mast labelled 'monstrosity' by objecting residents and councillors
- 9 6 things to do in North Herts during the summer holidays
- 10 Stevenage celebrates its 75th birthday: Editor's letter
• Able to act, sing and dance
• Able to commit to an intensive period of rehearsals and performances from Thursday, August 10, 2017 to Saturday, September 9, 2017 inclusive.
Applicants must be prepared to stay for the duration of the auditions and wear suitable clothing for movement and dance.
Those seeking roles will be expected to demonstrate acting, singing and vocal ability.
Over 16s must present a prepared vocal piece of musical theatre at their auditions.
Dance routines will be taught on the day – please bring tap shoes.
Backing tracks are not acceptable and sheet music must be brought for the audition pianist.
Based on Mel Brooks’ much-loved Academy Award-winning movie, The Producers is a hilarious musical comedy that has taken Broadway and the West End by storm, winning a record-breaking 12 Tony Awards and three Olivier Awards.
The plot is simple. A down-on-his-luck Broadway producer Max Bialystock and his mild-mannered accountant Leo Bloom come up with a scheme to pull off Broadway’s greatest scam.
Bailystock and Bloom produce a new musical, the gloriously offensive ‘Springtime for Hitler’, hiring the worst director and the worst actors.
However, ‘Springtime for Hitler’ is a huge success and Bailystock and Bloom soon learn that showbusiness can kick you in the teeth.
With a truly hysterical book co-written by Mel Brooks and Thomas Meehan, and music and lyrics by Mel Brooks, The Producers skewers Broadway traditions and takes no prisoners.
For ages 12 plus, and not for the easily offended, the show runs at the Gordon Craig from Tuesday, August 29 to Saturday, September 9.
Tickets for the opening night cost £17. Evening performances cost £22.50 and £20.50, with concessions £2 off. Matinees cost £18.
• For more information, and to buy tickets, visit the Gordon Craig website at www.gordon-craig.co.uk or call the box office on 01438 363200.