Market Theatre team set out a sumptuous stall as they mark 20 years of performance at Hitchin venue
- Credit: Archant
It’s been 20 years since the Market Theatre was established in Hitchin’s Sun Street, and details of the anniversary programme at the pint-sized performance venue have just been announced.
Coming up soon is gripping new drama The Game, which follows in the footsteps of last year’s one-woman show What Goes Up and examines the tricky area of sexual relationships. It will run twice a week from Thursday, March 17, until the end of April.
There’s also The Happy Funeral, a new musical which will have its world premiere at the venue in May and jolly hockey sticks drama is back with What Jennifer Did Next in June.
There’s a Hitchin Festival history offer looking at the life of the town’s most famous literary figure George Chapman in July and the traditional saucy Roman romp – this year’s show is called The Oral Examination – running from August to October.
Artistic director Kirk Foster said: “In our first season the audiences numbered just 400.
“Last season more than 10,000 passed through the doors, with many more on tour.
“The Market Theatre now has a fast-growing reputation around the country. None of this would have been possible without the fantastic actors who have graced our stage with their energetic and thought-provoking performances – my sincere gratitude to all of them, past and present.
- 1 Rishi Sunak visits Stevenage as £900m investment in life sciences campus announced
- 2 Terminally ill Ricky's 'Costa Del Nidge' pool party to help others
- 3 Stevenage teenagers charged following incident at The Hyde
- 4 14-year-old Stevenage girl missing
- 5 Hitchin & Harpenden MP Bim Afolami resigns as Tory vice chair live on air
- 6 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 7 14 bank cards stolen due to ATM fraud
- 8 Have your say on TK Maxx plans to move store out of town centre
- 9 Nursery with 'unrivalled passion' marks 80th anniversary
- 10 North East Herts MP declares 'loss of confidence' in PM
“I’d also like to say a sincere thank you to everyone who has supported us over the years, in difficult times and good times.
“May the wonderful relationship between the theatre and the incredibly supportive people of Hitchin long continue.”
See the full programme online at www.markettheatre.co.uk.