Market Theatre team set out a sumptuous stall as they mark 20 years of performance at Hitchin venue
- Credit: Archant
It’s been 20 years since the Market Theatre was established in Hitchin’s Sun Street, and details of the anniversary programme at the pint-sized performance venue have just been announced.
Coming up soon is gripping new drama The Game, which follows in the footsteps of last year’s one-woman show What Goes Up and examines the tricky area of sexual relationships. It will run twice a week from Thursday, March 17, until the end of April.
There’s also The Happy Funeral, a new musical which will have its world premiere at the venue in May and jolly hockey sticks drama is back with What Jennifer Did Next in June.
There’s a Hitchin Festival history offer looking at the life of the town’s most famous literary figure George Chapman in July and the traditional saucy Roman romp – this year’s show is called The Oral Examination – running from August to October.
Artistic director Kirk Foster said: “In our first season the audiences numbered just 400.
You may also want to watch:
“Last season more than 10,000 passed through the doors, with many more on tour.
“The Market Theatre now has a fast-growing reputation around the country. None of this would have been possible without the fantastic actors who have graced our stage with their energetic and thought-provoking performances – my sincere gratitude to all of them, past and present.
- 1 What can I do and what opens when COVID lockdown rules ease on Monday, April 12?
- 2 Jail for thief who stole scrap metal worth hundreds
- 3 Where has the Duke of Edinburgh visited in Hertfordshire?
- 4 Have you seen wanted Stevenage man?
- 5 Complaints about Stevenage beauty store made to national fraud agency
- 6 Three household waste collection crews suspended
- 7 'I'm not getting vaccinated yet, but don't call me an anti-vaxxer'
- 8 Electrical store reopening with competition to win free 50-inch TV
- 9 Lucky Hitchin man wins new Tesla and £30,000
- 10 Abandoned elderly cats found inside taped up box in Stevenage
“I’d also like to say a sincere thank you to everyone who has supported us over the years, in difficult times and good times.
“May the wonderful relationship between the theatre and the incredibly supportive people of Hitchin long continue.”
See the full programme online at www.markettheatre.co.uk.