Mairearad and Anna make a date for Hitchin folk club session
- Credit: Archant
Two revered multi-instrumentalists from north of the border have just released their third album, and they’ve hit the road to promote it.
Mairearad Green and Anna Massie’s 14-date UK tour includes Drumnadrochit if you want to see them on their own turf, but you can also catch them at Hitchin Folk Club on Sunday, November 8.
Both musicians are renowned for their formidable technical skill and playful delivery, and the sheer joy they show when making music together.
With Mairearad demonstrating deft dexterity on accordion and pipes and Anna moving between guitar, fiddle and banjo, the pair have been playing together for a dozen years.
The new album Best Day will be available at The Sun Hotel gig, ahead of its official release later in the month.
You may also want to watch:
It was recorded at a studio close to the Scottish border, and aims to remain true to their live sound with every instrument performed by Mairearad and Anna themselves.
This weekend’s Sunday night Hitchin Folk Club session welcomes something which some might think a little edgier – The Urban Folk Quartet.
- 1 Regeneration plans submitted to 'breathe new life' into Stevenage retail park
- 2 Video of woman spewing racial hate in Hitchin goes viral
- 3 Man suffers head injury after fall from moving car
- 4 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
- 5 Proposed 5G mast labelled 'monstrosity' by objecting residents and councillors
- 6 Bomb squad attends residential street in Letchworth
- 7 Surprise care home inspection finds residents at risk
- 8 Demolition work begins on former Matalan site to make way for flats
- 9 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 10 Lasting tribute to schoolgirl after tragic death
Joe Broughton, Paloma Trigás, Tom Chapman and Dan Walsh make up the UFQ which, since it was formed in 2009, has developed a genre-defying and all-embracing approach to folk music and has captivated audiences in high-energy performances across the world.
They also have a new album, The Escape, and their stint at the Sun Hotel is part of a programme that includes dates in France, Belgium and Denmark.
For full details of the programme visit www.hitchinfolkclub.idnet.net.