Mad about the House as young stars step up into the Stevenage spotlight
- Credit: Archant
Students from the Gordon Craig Theatre Senior Drama Academy will be taking to the stage this weekend to showcase their talents in two smash hit musicals.
More than 30 students aged 11 to 18 are taking on the challenge of performing Guys and Dolls and Our House on successive nights at the Gordon Craig Theatre in Stevenage.
They have been rehearsing since the autumn for the one-off shows, with the curtain going up on the first performance on Friday.
Artistic and creative manager at the Gordon Craig Catherine Lomax said: “I am so proud of them and I cannot wait to see them on stage – they have worked so hard and they are so excited.
“I chose Guys and Dolls because it will really show off their dance skills and the gangsters have a good range of roles for girls and boys to play different parts.
“Our House was chosen because it would be good for the group’s vocals and because they have great comic timing.
“I started in youth theatre and it is so important to give these kids the opportunities to get on stage when they are young. I cannot wait to see their performances.”
- 1 Man wanted in connection with police officer assault could be in Hitchin
- 2 'Jobs will be lost' if Stevenage TK Maxx fails to relocate
- 3 Range Rover stopped towing ‘insecure trailer’ on A1(M) in Stevenage
- 4 Plans to demolish riding stables to make way for housing
- 5 Lloyds Bank in Letchworth to shut as closures announced across the UK
- 6 VOTE: Which is your favourite chip shop in all of Hertfordshire?
- 7 Crackdown on anti-social behaviour in Letchworth and Baldock
- 8 World IBD Day: Crohn's disease sufferer speaks out
- 9 Stevenage woman arrested following 'dangerous driving and assault'
- 10 Plans to demolish two houses and build 20 flats in their place
Guys & Dolls is based on the Broadway stories of Damon Runyan and as well as being a theatre favourite was a big budget Hollywood film starring Marlon Brando and Frank Sinatra, smong others. It’s best known for the songs Luck Be A Lady and Sit Down, You’re Rocking The Boat.
Our House is the hit West End jukebox musical based around the hits of Madness, including the title song, Baggy Trousers and My Girl.
Our House is staged on Friday and Guys and Dolls on Saturday. Both performances start at 7.30pm, tickets are £12 and you can find out more at www.gordon-craig.co.uk or by calling 01438 363200.