Mad about the House as young stars step up into the Stevenage spotlight
- Credit: Archant
Students from the Gordon Craig Theatre Senior Drama Academy will be taking to the stage this weekend to showcase their talents in two smash hit musicals.
More than 30 students aged 11 to 18 are taking on the challenge of performing Guys and Dolls and Our House on successive nights at the Gordon Craig Theatre in Stevenage.
They have been rehearsing since the autumn for the one-off shows, with the curtain going up on the first performance on Friday.
Artistic and creative manager at the Gordon Craig Catherine Lomax said: “I am so proud of them and I cannot wait to see them on stage – they have worked so hard and they are so excited.
“I chose Guys and Dolls because it will really show off their dance skills and the gangsters have a good range of roles for girls and boys to play different parts.
You may also want to watch:
“Our House was chosen because it would be good for the group’s vocals and because they have great comic timing.
“I started in youth theatre and it is so important to give these kids the opportunities to get on stage when they are young. I cannot wait to see their performances.”
- 1 Rail passengers warned of three-day closure at London King's Cross station
- 2 Fun fair set for town centre following April 12 reopening
- 3 "The most important lesson I've learned is to not give up" - Stevenage girl pays tribute to Duke of Edinburgh Awards
- 4 Arrest made after car crashes and overturns in Stevenage
- 5 Who are our Stevenage candidates for Local Elections 2021?
- 6 CCTV appeal after large amount of criminal damage to secured yard
- 7 Rave reviews come flying in as glam bar welcomes back first clients after months of lockdown
- 8 Local COVID-19 contact tracing service now up and running
- 9 Early start catches Stevenage sleeping as Mansfield claim the three points
- 10 Stevenage and Jack Smith still aiming for strong finish to season despite Mansfield frustrations
Guys & Dolls is based on the Broadway stories of Damon Runyan and as well as being a theatre favourite was a big budget Hollywood film starring Marlon Brando and Frank Sinatra, smong others. It’s best known for the songs Luck Be A Lady and Sit Down, You’re Rocking The Boat.
Our House is the hit West End jukebox musical based around the hits of Madness, including the title song, Baggy Trousers and My Girl.
Our House is staged on Friday and Guys and Dolls on Saturday. Both performances start at 7.30pm, tickets are £12 and you can find out more at www.gordon-craig.co.uk or by calling 01438 363200.