Love goes beyond the grave
THE English Youth Ballet, led by six international dancers, will be joined by 100 young ballet students to present a beautiful new dramatic production of Giselle at The Gordon Craig Theatre in Stevenage. This ballet is about a young girl who falls in love
THE English Youth Ballet, led by six international dancers, will be joined by 100 young ballet students to present a beautiful new dramatic production of Giselle at The Gordon Craig Theatre in Stevenage.
This ballet is about a young girl who falls in love with a man she knows as Loys, but who is actually Albrecht - a nobleman disguised as a peasant who is betrothed to Bathilde, the daughter of a duke.
When Giselle discovers the deceit she is distraught and eventually goes mad and dies.
This leads to a macabre, ghoulish scene dominated by wilis - young betrothed women who were betrayed by their lovers and died before their wedding day.
Showing her undying love, the ghost of Giselle saves Albrecht's life and, before she returns to her grave, shows Albrecht that she forgives him and the two pledge their love for each other before they are separated forever. Giselle must now be a wili for eternity.
With enchanting costumes, wonderful scenery and spectacular dancing, this production brings Giselle into the 21st century with warmth, colour and drama.
- 1 Plans for new Stevenage secondary school raise concerns
- 2 Cash stolen in Stevenage car break-ins
- 3 Stevenage supermarket may have double-charged customers
- 4 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 5 Steve Evans begins Stevenage revolution with three new signings
- 6 Audi driver in his 20s killed in crash with lorry on A507 near Shefford
- 7 Stevenage's Lister Hospital changes maternity visiting guidance
- 8 Faulty lift leaves disabled Stevenage residents forced to climb 12-storey block of flats for six weeks
- 9 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 10 Platinum Jubilee: Hertfordshire's royal visits in pictures
For more information about the English Youth Ballet visit www.englishyouthballet.co.uk
The ballet takes place at 7.45pm from March 3 to 5. There will also be a matinee performance at 2.30pm on March 5.
Tickets, which start from £15, are available from the box office on 08700 131 030 or online at www.gordon-craig.co.uk