Love goes beyond the grave
THE English Youth Ballet, led by six international dancers, will be joined by 100 young ballet students to present a beautiful new dramatic production of Giselle at The Gordon Craig Theatre in Stevenage. This ballet is about a young girl who falls in love
THE English Youth Ballet, led by six international dancers, will be joined by 100 young ballet students to present a beautiful new dramatic production of Giselle at The Gordon Craig Theatre in Stevenage.
This ballet is about a young girl who falls in love with a man she knows as Loys, but who is actually Albrecht - a nobleman disguised as a peasant who is betrothed to Bathilde, the daughter of a duke.
When Giselle discovers the deceit she is distraught and eventually goes mad and dies.
This leads to a macabre, ghoulish scene dominated by wilis - young betrothed women who were betrayed by their lovers and died before their wedding day.
You may also want to watch:
Showing her undying love, the ghost of Giselle saves Albrecht's life and, before she returns to her grave, shows Albrecht that she forgives him and the two pledge their love for each other before they are separated forever. Giselle must now be a wili for eternity.
With enchanting costumes, wonderful scenery and spectacular dancing, this production brings Giselle into the 21st century with warmth, colour and drama.
- 1 CCTV appeal after fraud incident in Stevenage
- 2 Missing Stevenage teen found
- 3 Five Guys to open as lockdown restrictions ease
- 4 Development plans for 16.5-acre Stevenage site could create 1,000 jobs
- 5 Historic school to close at end of academic year
- 6 When will outdoor pools be reopening in Letchworth and Hitchin?
- 7 'People power triumphs' as council agrees to change bulky waste collection fees
- 8 Save the date! Popular Eat Alfresco dining experience will return
- 9 New woodland 'vital for wildlife and people' in Letchworth
- 10 Man arrested in connection with petrol station robbery
For more information about the English Youth Ballet visit www.englishyouthballet.co.uk
The ballet takes place at 7.45pm from March 3 to 5. There will also be a matinee performance at 2.30pm on March 5.
Tickets, which start from £15, are available from the box office on 08700 131 030 or online at www.gordon-craig.co.uk