Love goes beyond the grave
THE English Youth Ballet, led by six international dancers, will be joined by 100 young ballet students to present a beautiful new dramatic production of Giselle at The Gordon Craig Theatre in Stevenage. This ballet is about a young girl who falls in love
THE English Youth Ballet, led by six international dancers, will be joined by 100 young ballet students to present a beautiful new dramatic production of Giselle at The Gordon Craig Theatre in Stevenage.
This ballet is about a young girl who falls in love with a man she knows as Loys, but who is actually Albrecht - a nobleman disguised as a peasant who is betrothed to Bathilde, the daughter of a duke.
When Giselle discovers the deceit she is distraught and eventually goes mad and dies.
This leads to a macabre, ghoulish scene dominated by wilis - young betrothed women who were betrayed by their lovers and died before their wedding day.
You may also want to watch:
Showing her undying love, the ghost of Giselle saves Albrecht's life and, before she returns to her grave, shows Albrecht that she forgives him and the two pledge their love for each other before they are separated forever. Giselle must now be a wili for eternity.
With enchanting costumes, wonderful scenery and spectacular dancing, this production brings Giselle into the 21st century with warmth, colour and drama.
- 1 Regeneration plans submitted to 'breathe new life' into Stevenage retail park
- 2 Man suffers head injury after fall from moving car
- 3 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
- 4 Video of woman spewing racial hate in Hitchin goes viral
- 5 Proposed 5G mast labelled 'monstrosity' by objecting residents and councillors
- 6 Demolition work begins on former Matalan site to make way for flats
- 7 Bomb squad attends residential street in Letchworth
- 8 App launched to promote shopping at local businesses
- 9 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 10 The hidden history of Hitchin's disappeared pubs
For more information about the English Youth Ballet visit www.englishyouthballet.co.uk
The ballet takes place at 7.45pm from March 3 to 5. There will also be a matinee performance at 2.30pm on March 5.
Tickets, which start from £15, are available from the box office on 08700 131 030 or online at www.gordon-craig.co.uk