Letchworth through time: New exhibition of old and new postcards coming to Broadway Gallery
- Credit: Archant
Broadway Gallery in Letchworth will exhibit postcards of the town through the years – all the way back to 1905 – in a new exhibition.
The new display will highlight the changes that have occurred in the town over the last century. Co-organised by the Broadway Gallery and the Garden City Collection, The Garden City Postcard Project focuses on a range of souvenir postcards that will allow visitors to take a look back in time. The history of Letchworth in the form of postcards goes all the way back to the Edwardian era.
Vicky Axell, curator of the Garden City Collection said: “The postcards in this exhibition really illustrate the diverse history of Letchworth and how much change it has been through since the early 20th century.
“The exhibition explores how Letchworth has imagined itself as a visitor destination over the years, but also how the postcards capture the unique spirit of the town in their design.”
Local artists, designers and writers – and some from further afield – had the chance to be a part of this new display by creating fresh designs on the cards.
You may also want to watch:
Curator of the Broadway Gallery, Laura Dennis said: “The artists have been invited to take part in this unique exhibition with the challenge posed to them to create new postcards that capture their impressions of Letchworth.
“This might be their favourite scene in the town, a detail from a building, or even a poem or a short story.
- 1 Closure order for Hitchin bungalow following anti-social behaviour
- 2 Demolition work begins on former Matalan site to make way for flats
- 3 Why grass in Stevenage and North Herts public areas isn't cut
- 4 Some bus services set to change to 'build on great network'
- 5 Bomb squad attends residential street in Letchworth
- 6 Surprise care home inspection finds residents at risk
- 7 New mental health unit earmarked for Stevenage
- 8 'Music legends' Aswad impress at LGC Live event in town centre
- 9 From Doctor Foster to Midsomer Murders... North Herts on screen in these BritBox series
- 10 Two people taken to hospital with serious injuries after Clothall Road crash
“I’m looking forward to seeing what they can all come up with.”
The gallery will also be running a number of talks and events in line with the Postcard Project. On October 8 Laura will be giving a tour of the exhibition, and October 15 will see an Art on a Postcard workshop with artist Vanessa Stone, who will help participants create miniature artwork using cut paper and collage techniques.
The exhibition opens today, and will feature at the gallery until November 5.
Admission is free and is open Wednesday to Saturday from 10am to 5pm, and Sundays from 10am to 4pm.
Tickets for these events can be booked by calling 01462 476110 or visiting the website at broadway-letchworth.com.