Letchworth through time: New exhibition of old and new postcards coming to Broadway Gallery
- Credit: Archant
Broadway Gallery in Letchworth will exhibit postcards of the town through the years – all the way back to 1905 – in a new exhibition.
The new display will highlight the changes that have occurred in the town over the last century. Co-organised by the Broadway Gallery and the Garden City Collection, The Garden City Postcard Project focuses on a range of souvenir postcards that will allow visitors to take a look back in time. The history of Letchworth in the form of postcards goes all the way back to the Edwardian era.
Vicky Axell, curator of the Garden City Collection said: “The postcards in this exhibition really illustrate the diverse history of Letchworth and how much change it has been through since the early 20th century.
“The exhibition explores how Letchworth has imagined itself as a visitor destination over the years, but also how the postcards capture the unique spirit of the town in their design.”
Local artists, designers and writers – and some from further afield – had the chance to be a part of this new display by creating fresh designs on the cards.
Curator of the Broadway Gallery, Laura Dennis said: “The artists have been invited to take part in this unique exhibition with the challenge posed to them to create new postcards that capture their impressions of Letchworth.
“This might be their favourite scene in the town, a detail from a building, or even a poem or a short story.
- 1 Range Rover stopped towing ‘insecure trailer’ on A1(M) in Stevenage
- 2 'Jobs will be lost' if Stevenage TK Maxx fails to relocate
- 3 Police called to concern for welfare after 'youths' seen on Stevenage roof
- 4 Crackdown on anti-social behaviour in Letchworth and Baldock
- 5 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 6 Hitchin to host Platinum Jubilee Carnival to honour Queen
- 7 Hertfordshire's Wilkestock festival to return after licensing row resolved
- 8 Plans to demolish riding stables to make way for housing
- 9 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 10 What's the future Queen doing in a sandpit in Hertfordshire?
“I’m looking forward to seeing what they can all come up with.”
The gallery will also be running a number of talks and events in line with the Postcard Project. On October 8 Laura will be giving a tour of the exhibition, and October 15 will see an Art on a Postcard workshop with artist Vanessa Stone, who will help participants create miniature artwork using cut paper and collage techniques.
The exhibition opens today, and will feature at the gallery until November 5.
Admission is free and is open Wednesday to Saturday from 10am to 5pm, and Sundays from 10am to 4pm.
Tickets for these events can be booked by calling 01462 476110 or visiting the website at broadway-letchworth.com.