Letchworth’s James Mayhew to paint during Hitchin Carnival of the Animals concert
- Credit: Archant
There will be a special treat for families in Hitchin this month – a concert for children, featuring live painting by a famed illustrator and author.
Letchworth’s James Mayhew, creator of the Katie and Ella Bella Ballerina series, will create illustrations beamed onto a big screen during the performance of Saint-Saëns’ Carnival of the Animals at St Mary’s Church.
The concert, by the St Mary’s Ensemble Orchestra, will be staged in two sessions – with James’ paintings raffled on the day. There will also be refreshments and face-painting, and James will be available to sign books.
James told the Comet: “I’m so happy to be coming to Hitchin to collaborate with these wonderful musicians.
“It’s quite a challenge to paint to Carnival of the Animals – some of the music only lasts a minute! But I think that’s part of the fun.
“The music is really lovely and very familiar. Combining it with art makes this the perfect way to introduce kids to classical music.”
The Carnival of the Animals, composed by Saint-Saëns during a sojourn in Austria in 1886, is made up of 14 movements – including Tortoises, Kangaroos, Fossils and The Swan.
- 1 Plans to demolish riding stables to make way for housing
- 2 Stevenage woman arrested following 'dangerous driving and assault'
- 3 Former pub owner admits to food hygiene offences
- 4 Plans to demolish two houses and build 20 flats in their place
- 5 Driver hospitalised with ‘serious injuries’ following crash in Hitchin
- 6 Parents' anger as possible school redundancies loom amid academy transition
- 7 Stalking Protection Order issued to Herts man after obsessive behaviour towards ex
- 8 Vauxhall flips onto roof in crash with Mercedes in Letchworth
- 9 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 10 Man in his 80s seriously injured after Honda crash in Stevenage
There will be two shows at St Mary’s on Saturday, February 24, at 2.30pm and 4.30pm.