Letchworth museum holds Spirella exhibition
THE history of a Letchworth GC landmark will be explored in a year-long exhibition in the town.
The Spirella Building will be the focus of an exhibition at the First Garden City Museum entitled Spirella Company - Corset Makers & Corsetieres.
The building, which was constructed between 1912 and 1920, was home to American corset manufacturing business the Spirella Company, which employed thousands of people in the area working to the motto of ‘Healthy Happy Workers are the World’s Best’.
The exhibition is packed full of objects and old photographs from the museum’s collections and will explore the history of the Spirella Building, the company and the corsets it made, and the lives of some of those ‘Healthy Happy Workers’.
Opening tomorrow (Saturday) and running until February 2, 2013, Spirella Company - Corset Makers & Corsetieres is free to attend.
You may also want to watch:
The museum is actively looking for photographs and memories of Spirella - if you have something to share call 01462 482710 or email email@example.com
- 1 Lasting tribute to schoolgirl after tragic death
- 2 'A day none of us will forget' - Princess Anne visits Lister Hospital
- 3 Crowds flock to Hitchin for Bucklersbury and Sun Street Day
- 4 'Fight for what is yours' - Alyssa Smith Jewellery's message following High Court win
- 5 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 6 Stevenage happy with performance and result against 10-man Crystal Palace
- 7 Letchworth BID responds after manager unexpectedly jailed
- 8 £50 supermarket vouchers available to help families entitled to free school meals
- 9 Christopher Hewett: Teenage boys found guilty of murder and manslaughter
- 10 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?