To the solar system and beyond with university’s inflatable planetarium at Letchworth Festival
- Credit: Archant
The UK’s largest inflatable planetarium will be one of the star attractions at the Letchworth Festival.
Scientists from the University of Hertfordshire will be bringing their new inflatable planetarium to the Letchworth Festival from Friday, June 16 to Sunday, June 18.
The planetarium, which is normally on show at the Hatfield-based university’s Bayfordbury Observatory, is the biggest of its kind in the UK.
The six-metre high dome is used to educate people about the wonders of the universe, offering an out of this world guided tour of the Milky Way and beyond.
Dr Mark Gallaway, from the university’s School of Physics, Astronomy and Mathematics, said: “The planetarium is an excellent and exciting way to explore the solar system and beyond.
You may also want to watch:
“We are looking forward to attending the Letchworth Festival to make science more accessible to the wider public.
“Rather than people having to visit the observatory, we can now bring the solar system and galaxy to them.”
- 1 Regeneration plans submitted to 'breathe new life' into Stevenage retail park
- 2 Video of woman spewing racial hate in Hitchin goes viral
- 3 Man suffers head injury after fall from moving car
- 4 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
- 5 Proposed 5G mast labelled 'monstrosity' by objecting residents and councillors
- 6 Bomb squad attends residential street in Letchworth
- 7 Surprise care home inspection finds residents at risk
- 8 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 9 Demolition work begins on former Matalan site to make way for flats
- 10 Closure order for Hitchin bungalow following anti-social behaviour
Inside the planetarium is a top-of-the-range High Definition (HD) projector that beams galaxies and stars across its dome as well as a 360 sound system.
The system also includes short films to enhance the face-to-face learning experience.
It is primarily used as a cosmic teaching tool for schools, but is fully portable and can be used anywhere, including parks and festivals.
The inflatable planetarium will be based at Broadway Gardens and public shows with Hertfordshire astronomers will run on the hour from noon to 7pm.
Tickets are available in advance on the door, subject to availability.
Tickets cost £5 and children under 14 enter for free.
• For more information, visit http://www.letchworthfestival.org/event2017.htm?e=37