Let us entertain you! Lytton Players bring music hall to Stevenage
- Credit: Archant
Turning back the clock to the good old days and aiming to dispel 21st century January blues – that’s the mission of Stevenage’s Lytton Players as the new year grinds into gear.
The Players traditionally open the year with an evening of music hall entertainment, with song, dance and speciality acts presented in a cabaret style and introduced by a loquacious master of ceremonies.
This vivid taste of a night at the theatre in Victorian times was a fixture of the TV schedules for many years, with Leonard Sachs the chairman of The Good Old Days,
Taking on the link man duties at the Players’ Vardon Road base this year is Keith Pitts.
The company has been staging the music hall for more than 50 years and promise that this year’s production will feature all the traditional favourites, including a marvellous melodrama and a host of songs, chorus numbers and comedy sketches. The curtain goes up for the first time on Thursday, with performances continuing until Saturday.
There are further shows on Thursday, Friday and Saturday next week, too – evening shows start at 7.45pm and there’s a Saturday afternoon matinee this weekend at 2.30pm. Prices start at £9 for evening shows and include a light supper.
Find out full details online at www.lyttonplayers.co.uk or call 01438 357407.
- 1 BID releases official statement after cancelling Christmas lights switch-on
- 2 Yellow warning for snow and wind in Herts as Storm Arwen sweeps in
- 3 Villagers left waiting over an hour in cold for Arriva buses demand better service
- 4 15 adorable rescue pets in Hertfordshire looking for loving new homes this Christmas
- 5 Hitchin named as happiest place to live in the East of England
- 6 Hertfordshire zoo Paradise Wildlife Park to temporarily close to the public in January
- 7 Here's what we know so far about the new Covid variant
- 8 How Hertfordshire’s coronavirus figures compare to last year's lockdown
- 9 Tranmere Rovers against Stevenage off after Storm Arwen damage
- 10 Driver assaulted in racially aggravated attack following car crash