Labour laughs appealing to a comedy constituency in Hitchin on Friday night
- Credit: Archant
The battle to become Labour’s new leader may be grabbing the national headlines, but down at the grass roots supporters are taking time out from the campaign for some fundraising comedy on Friday night.
It’s the second Stand Up For Labour gig to be hosted in Hitchin, after a successful session featuring veteran Arthur Smith at the back end of last year.
The two acts on the bill at Hitchin’s Westmill Community Centre will be showcasing material they are planning to take to the Edinburgh Festival.
Sharp political commentator Alistair Barrie and award-winning musical comedy veteran Christian Reilly will both be helping raising funds for the Hitchin & Harpenden constituency Labour team through the John Barker Place gig, which gets under way at 7.30pm.
Host on the night is Crispin Flintoff, the founder of Stand Up For Labour, and tickets cost £15 on the door.
There’s more comedy on offer on Saturday with a summer special at Hitchin’s Woodside Hall featuring famous names Nina Benjamin and Richard Herring – advance tickets are available from the Hitchin Initiative offices in Churchyard, visit www.lastminutecomedy.com for more details.
You may also want to watch:
Further in the future, two up and coming acts have been booked for a comedy session at The Forum in Stevenage on Wednesday, September 23. Both Jenny Collier, who will be opening her Edinburgh Fringe show next week, and musical comedy specialist George Rigden have been building a reputation on the circuit and through comedy competitions – you can see them in the flesh for £10 through the wegottickets website (search 323376) or £12 on the door.
- 1 Motorcyclist dies after crash near Hitchin
- 2 Prime Minister Boris Johnson opens Airbus' new £35 million facility
- 3 Hitchin teenager convicted of raping three young people
- 4 Woman suffers facial injuries in pub assault
- 5 Two arrests made after serious assault in town centre
- 6 Famous faces: A look at Stevenage's most notable people
- 7 Treble for Codi Lee-Spavins and three points for Stotfold in victory over Letchworth
- 8 Arlesey school recognised with prestigious inclusion award
- 9 Chicken for England! Fast food branch shares inside scoop on feeding our Euros squad
- 10 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys