Kaleem Taylor - the soul of Letchworth
A fantastically soulful Letchworth singer, who only went into a recording studio after a friend heard him singing, is causing excitement on Radio 1 and 1Xtra with his laid-back R&B.
Twenty-year-old Kaleem Taylor caught the ear of DJ Target with his singles Blow Out and Never, both recorded at Apex Studios in Stevenage - but it might not have happened if he hadn’t been asked to sing on a night out.
“I was out one night and my friend asked me to sing, he said he had a studio,” Kaleem said. “At first I started to see how to do it. I didn’t know if you needed technique. But I just sing how I sing. We thought we should give it a go.”
Kaleem, who cites Nat King Cole, Lauryn Hill and D’Angelo amongst his influences, said he writes most of the material with help from his musical partner Siv who also makes the beats.
“We’ve been recording loads and loads for about a year. Everything is all positive. I haven’t had a bad word yet. Everyone seems to enjoy it.”
A six-track EP, called Smooth, is due at the end of the month and a series of promotional gigs are lined up, including one at Que Pasa in Hitchin on Saturday night.
“I’ve done two gigs so far, they both went well. I’m just trying to learn. Before going on stage I was fine. And then I got on stage it was a little bit nerve wracking, but I’ll develop that as I go.”
- 1 BID releases official statement after cancelling Christmas lights switch-on
- 2 Yellow warning for snow and wind in Herts as Storm Arwen sweeps in
- 3 Villagers left waiting over an hour in cold for Arriva buses demand better service
- 4 Hertfordshire zoo Paradise Wildlife Park to temporarily close to the public in January
- 5 15 adorable rescue pets in Hertfordshire looking for loving new homes this Christmas
- 6 Hitchin named as happiest place to live in the East of England
- 7 Here's what we know so far about the new Covid variant
- 8 How Hertfordshire’s coronavirus figures compare to last year's lockdown
- 9 Driver assaulted in racially aggravated attack following car crash
- 10 Councillor wants apology for Nadine Dorries 'misogynist' tweet