Jumping Jive and Rock n Roll at Preston charity day
Bands are giving their time and talents for free on Saturday to raise money for research into a rare life-limiting condition.
Seven-piece swing-jive band Genie And The Jive Bombers headline the event at The Red Lion in Preston to help tackle cystinosis – a condition that prevents the kidneys working properly in around 4,000 people worldwide.
The Bombers delightful four-part all-girl harmonies and thumping jazz backing will keep the place jumping after performances by authentic Rock n Rollers Just For Kicks and Red Hot Chili youngsters The Informatives.
Landlord Ray Lambe said the cause is dear to his heart, as his cousin’s two children both have the disease.
“We are trying to raise money to develop drugs. Because it is rare the drug companies do not see a profit in it. What research has done so far is move the life expectancy back 10 years.”
You may also want to watch:
The pub’s annual events have raised over �20,000 for the cause, as part of a million pound effort worldwide to treat the condition.
The music kicks off at 5pm, with a beer festival, hog roast and mini-Olympics also taking place.
- 1 Missing Stevenage teen found
- 2 CCTV appeal after fraud incident in Stevenage
- 3 Five Guys to open as lockdown restrictions ease
- 4 Development plans for 16.5-acre Stevenage site could create 1,000 jobs
- 5 Historic school to close at end of academic year
- 6 When will outdoor pools be reopening in Letchworth and Hitchin?
- 7 'People power triumphs' as council agrees to change bulky waste collection fees
- 8 Save the date! Popular Eat Alfresco dining experience will return
- 9 Man arrested in connection with petrol station robbery
- 10 Increase in town centre parking charges 'is no help to beleaguered shops clinging on'