Jump on the Bandwagon
INDIE nights in Herts are few and far between so the launch of The Bandwagon event in Hitchin has hit the spot. Fans of indie music have been jumping on the Bandwagon according to Ben Boorman and Mark Sutton. The 23-year-old local lads organise the indi
INDIE nights in Herts are few and far between so the launch of The Bandwagon event in Hitchin has hit the spot.
Fans of indie music have been jumping on the Bandwagon according to Ben Boorman and Mark Sutton.
The 23-year-old local lads organise the indie club night that was recently moved from a Tuesday to a Thursday due to its success.
Ben explained: "The Bandwagon really came about as a result of me and Mark moving home after finishing degrees in Liverpool and Manchester, respectively. I used to run an indie night in Liverpool so thought I'd set one up here."
And the reasoning behind it? Ben said: "We saw that although there is a big crowd of indie kids in the Hitchin area there is no-one to cater for them. I go out in London so nights like FROG and Club NME were influences."
The boys managed to get a gig at Penthouse and, after a couple of nights of pulling in around 200 people and 300 for the Christmas party, they were offered the Thursday slot.
- 1 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 2 New opening date for Stevenage Geek Retreat
- 3 Audi driver in his 20s killed in crash with lorry on A507 near Shefford
- 4 Steve Evans begins Stevenage revolution with three new signings
- 5 Rejoice! American landlady saves Charlton's historic Windmill pub
- 6 Man threatened woman with samurai sword before sex attack in Letchworth
- 7 The Queen's Platinum Jubilee: How are our areas celebrating?
- 8 North Herts grass verge cutting to be reduced
- 9 Platinum Jubilee: postbox toppers appear for celebrations
- 10 Letchworth Outdoor Pool suffers two break-ins ahead of opening
Their MySpace page states: "The Bandwagon is a new indie night changing the face of the historic market town of Hitchin. For too long R'n'B and dance music have been lording it over proper decent tunes at the local nightspots.
"Well, not for much longer, because this is how it's going down. We are bringing a night to cater for the good rock 'n' roll people of Hitchin and the surrounding areas, who don't really seem to be getting a fair deal at the moment."
The night includes a DJ session, a support band then the main act. For the future Ben and Mark will be supporting local bands (The Parade, The Artisans, The Filthy Youth) and also bringing in out-of-towners ("Dartz! Is the biggest act we've booked so far for April 5").
As well as the Hitchin event and DJ-ing all over the country Ben is also a partner in Bang On!!!, a new night starting on March 2 at Plinston Hall, Letchworth.
He added: "Mark and I just want to keep on booking bands and really making a name for The Bandwagon".
Check out www.myspace.com/thebandwagonhitchin for more information.