Jump on the Bandwagon
INDIE nights in Herts are few and far between so the launch of The Bandwagon event in Hitchin has hit the spot. Fans of indie music have been jumping on the Bandwagon according to Ben Boorman and Mark Sutton. The 23-year-old local lads organise the indi
INDIE nights in Herts are few and far between so the launch of The Bandwagon event in Hitchin has hit the spot.
Fans of indie music have been jumping on the Bandwagon according to Ben Boorman and Mark Sutton.
The 23-year-old local lads organise the indie club night that was recently moved from a Tuesday to a Thursday due to its success.
Ben explained: "The Bandwagon really came about as a result of me and Mark moving home after finishing degrees in Liverpool and Manchester, respectively. I used to run an indie night in Liverpool so thought I'd set one up here."
You may also want to watch:
And the reasoning behind it? Ben said: "We saw that although there is a big crowd of indie kids in the Hitchin area there is no-one to cater for them. I go out in London so nights like FROG and Club NME were influences."
The boys managed to get a gig at Penthouse and, after a couple of nights of pulling in around 200 people and 300 for the Christmas party, they were offered the Thursday slot.
- 1 Staff member left shaken after attempted armed robbery at village store
- 2 'Staff working in schools are terrified' - headteacher pleads for COVID-19 vaccine
- 3 Dangerous rogue gas fitter handed suspended prison sentence
- 4 Woman named after pleading guilty to fly-tipping offence
- 5 Body found in search for missing woman
- 6 Boxing promoter Frank Warren praises Stevenage's Lister Hospital staff after COVID-19 battle
- 7 Good Samaritan becomes victim of attempted robbery in Stevenage
- 8 Stevenage FC provides new location for Feed Up Warm Up drop-in
- 9 Five Guys to open as lockdown restrictions ease
- 10 Movies announced for drive-in cinema's return to Knebworth
Their MySpace page states: "The Bandwagon is a new indie night changing the face of the historic market town of Hitchin. For too long R'n'B and dance music have been lording it over proper decent tunes at the local nightspots.
"Well, not for much longer, because this is how it's going down. We are bringing a night to cater for the good rock 'n' roll people of Hitchin and the surrounding areas, who don't really seem to be getting a fair deal at the moment."
The night includes a DJ session, a support band then the main act. For the future Ben and Mark will be supporting local bands (The Parade, The Artisans, The Filthy Youth) and also bringing in out-of-towners ("Dartz! Is the biggest act we've booked so far for April 5").
As well as the Hitchin event and DJ-ing all over the country Ben is also a partner in Bang On!!!, a new night starting on March 2 at Plinston Hall, Letchworth.
He added: "Mark and I just want to keep on booking bands and really making a name for The Bandwagon".
Check out www.myspace.com/thebandwagonhitchin for more information.