It’s a gold standard Olympic curtain-raiser - Letchworth samba squad brings Rio carnival feel to Hitchin this weekend
- Credit: Archant
Community percussion band Garden City Samba will be bringing the sounds, sights and dance moves of Brazilian carnival to Hitchin’s Club 85 on Sunday.
The date coincides with the famous Mardi Gras celebrations in Rio, the city which will host this summer’s Olympic games.
The all-age all-ability drummers and dancers will be performing two live sets of Brazilian carnival rhythms, with Brazilian DJ Marcus de Orleans providing authentic dance beats in between.
Fancy dress is encouraged and organisers promise that there will be a prize for the best costume.
There will also be a chance for all-comers to have a go at drumming and dancing with audience participation slots throughout the evening.
You may also want to watch:
The event will raise funds for the band’s community outreach programme, which provides subsidies for children and concessions.
Tickets are £5 from Bar 85, David’s Music in Letchworth, Hitchin town centre traders Harvest Moon, Jolly Brown, and Farleys and Unikorn in Stevenage.
- 1 Tributes paid to Arsenal fan who died of COVID-19 'caught at Euros final'
- 2 Police hunt wanted man in connection with assault and harassment
- 3 Rapist faces 'considerable custodial sentence' after guilty verdict
- 4 Hitchin teenager convicted of raping three young people
- 5 Motorcyclist dies after crash near Hitchin
- 6 Aerial acrobatics show to be performed in the heart of Stevenage town centre
- 7 Topping out ceremony marks significant progress to new bus interchange
- 8 Fraudster to repay victim £87k more than decade after conviction
- 9 Woman suffers facial injuries in pub assault
- 10 Primary school's Early Years team achieves award for quality standards
Garden City Samba is a community band offering the chance to learn Brazilian carnival percussion and dance in a supportive and friendly atmosphere with two of the UK’s most acclaimed tutors – Ravin ‘Raz’ Jayasuriya and Marcia Magliari.
The band bring their vibrant grooves and moves to events, parties and weddings across the county and are preparing for a busy summer.
New band members are welcome at any time. No experience is necessary and rehearsals are held in Letchworth on Tuesday evenings between 7pm and 9.15pm – contact the band via www.gardencitysamba.com or the group’s Facebook page if you’d like to try a free taster session.