It’s a gold standard Olympic curtain-raiser - Letchworth samba squad brings Rio carnival feel to Hitchin this weekend
- Credit: Archant
Community percussion band Garden City Samba will be bringing the sounds, sights and dance moves of Brazilian carnival to Hitchin’s Club 85 on Sunday.
The date coincides with the famous Mardi Gras celebrations in Rio, the city which will host this summer’s Olympic games.
The all-age all-ability drummers and dancers will be performing two live sets of Brazilian carnival rhythms, with Brazilian DJ Marcus de Orleans providing authentic dance beats in between.
Fancy dress is encouraged and organisers promise that there will be a prize for the best costume.
There will also be a chance for all-comers to have a go at drumming and dancing with audience participation slots throughout the evening.
You may also want to watch:
The event will raise funds for the band’s community outreach programme, which provides subsidies for children and concessions.
Tickets are £5 from Bar 85, David’s Music in Letchworth, Hitchin town centre traders Harvest Moon, Jolly Brown, and Farleys and Unikorn in Stevenage.
- 1 Council tax to rise in county after 'extraordinary' year
- 2 Seven things that are gone but not forgotten in Stevenage
- 3 No jab, no job COVID-19 policy rolled out at care homes
- 4 Huge maturity from Stevenage's on-loan Chelsea man Jamie Cumming as he deals with 'the life of a keeper'
- 5 Gardens and dinosaur trail reopening at weekends at Knebworth House
- 6 Green light for 40-bed homeless shelter in Letchworth
- 7 Rewind: A mysterious corner shop killing that shaped the future of British policing
- 8 New mass COVID-19 vaccine centre opens in Letchworth
- 9 GP surgery outstrips mass vaccination centre's COVID-19 jab rate
- 10 Teenager charged with assisting offenders after Stevenage man's death
Garden City Samba is a community band offering the chance to learn Brazilian carnival percussion and dance in a supportive and friendly atmosphere with two of the UK’s most acclaimed tutors – Ravin ‘Raz’ Jayasuriya and Marcia Magliari.
The band bring their vibrant grooves and moves to events, parties and weddings across the county and are preparing for a busy summer.
New band members are welcome at any time. No experience is necessary and rehearsals are held in Letchworth on Tuesday evenings between 7pm and 9.15pm – contact the band via www.gardencitysamba.com or the group’s Facebook page if you’d like to try a free taster session.