It’s a gold standard Olympic curtain-raiser - Letchworth samba squad brings Rio carnival feel to Hitchin this weekend
- Credit: Archant
Community percussion band Garden City Samba will be bringing the sounds, sights and dance moves of Brazilian carnival to Hitchin’s Club 85 on Sunday.
The date coincides with the famous Mardi Gras celebrations in Rio, the city which will host this summer’s Olympic games.
The all-age all-ability drummers and dancers will be performing two live sets of Brazilian carnival rhythms, with Brazilian DJ Marcus de Orleans providing authentic dance beats in between.
Fancy dress is encouraged and organisers promise that there will be a prize for the best costume.
There will also be a chance for all-comers to have a go at drumming and dancing with audience participation slots throughout the evening.
The event will raise funds for the band’s community outreach programme, which provides subsidies for children and concessions.
Tickets are £5 from Bar 85, David’s Music in Letchworth, Hitchin town centre traders Harvest Moon, Jolly Brown, and Farleys and Unikorn in Stevenage.
- 1 BID releases official statement after cancelling Christmas lights switch-on
- 2 Villagers left waiting over an hour in cold for Arriva buses demand better service
- 3 Yellow warning for snow and wind in Herts as Storm Arwen sweeps in
- 4 Tranmere Rovers against Stevenage off after Storm Arwen damage
- 5 How Hertfordshire’s coronavirus figures compare to last year's lockdown
- 6 Stevenage appoint former MK Dons boss Paul Tisdale as their new manager
- 7 Hertfordshire zoo Paradise Wildlife Park to temporarily close to the public in January
- 8 Hitchin named as happiest place to live in the East of England
- 9 15 adorable rescue pets in Hertfordshire looking for loving new homes this Christmas
- 10 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
Garden City Samba is a community band offering the chance to learn Brazilian carnival percussion and dance in a supportive and friendly atmosphere with two of the UK’s most acclaimed tutors – Ravin ‘Raz’ Jayasuriya and Marcia Magliari.
The band bring their vibrant grooves and moves to events, parties and weddings across the county and are preparing for a busy summer.
New band members are welcome at any time. No experience is necessary and rehearsals are held in Letchworth on Tuesday evenings between 7pm and 9.15pm – contact the band via www.gardencitysamba.com or the group’s Facebook page if you’d like to try a free taster session.