I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
THIS spellbinding autobiography is about the first 16 years of Maya Angelou s difficult life. In the first of a series of five books, Angelou entrances her readers with the hardships of her youth. Her parents divorced when she was three years old and Maya
THIS spellbinding autobiography is about the first 16 years of Maya Angelou's difficult life.
In the first of a series of five books, Angelou entrances her readers with the hardships of her youth.
Her parents divorced when she was three years old and Maya and her older brother were sent to live with their grandmother in a small Arkansas town where she experienced the horrors of racism and religious hypocrisy.
When she was eight, she went to live with her mother in St Louis and was raped by her mother's lover.
In her teenage years she ran away, lived on the streets and slept in abandoned cars. She fell pregnant at 16 but finished high school, positive about her future as a mother.
This is a must-read and will leave you desperate to find out what happens next in Gather Together in My Name.
- 1 Range Rover stopped towing ‘insecure trailer’ on A1(M) in Stevenage
- 2 Police called to concern for welfare after 'youths' seen on Stevenage roof
- 3 'Jobs will be lost' if Stevenage TK Maxx fails to relocate
- 4 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 5 Man wanted in connection with police officer assault could be in Hitchin
- 6 Plans to demolish riding stables to make way for housing
- 7 Crackdown on anti-social behaviour in Letchworth and Baldock
- 8 Lloyds Bank in Letchworth to shut as closures announced across the UK
- 9 End of an era? Future of Crucial Crew scheme relies on new co-ordinators
- 10 Hitchin Beer & Cider Festival set to make triumphant return
Thanks to Waterstones, Stevenage. 4/5