I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
THIS spellbinding autobiography is about the first 16 years of Maya Angelou s difficult life. In the first of a series of five books, Angelou entrances her readers with the hardships of her youth. Her parents divorced when she was three years old and Maya
THIS spellbinding autobiography is about the first 16 years of Maya Angelou's difficult life.
In the first of a series of five books, Angelou entrances her readers with the hardships of her youth.
Her parents divorced when she was three years old and Maya and her older brother were sent to live with their grandmother in a small Arkansas town where she experienced the horrors of racism and religious hypocrisy.
When she was eight, she went to live with her mother in St Louis and was raped by her mother's lover.
You may also want to watch:
In her teenage years she ran away, lived on the streets and slept in abandoned cars. She fell pregnant at 16 but finished high school, positive about her future as a mother.
This is a must-read and will leave you desperate to find out what happens next in Gather Together in My Name.
- 1 What can I do and what opens when COVID lockdown rules ease on Monday, April 12?
- 2 Jail for thief who stole scrap metal worth hundreds
- 3 Where has the Duke of Edinburgh visited in Hertfordshire?
- 4 Have you seen wanted Stevenage man?
- 5 Complaints about Stevenage beauty store made to national fraud agency
- 6 Three household waste collection crews suspended
- 7 'I'm not getting vaccinated yet, but don't call me an anti-vaxxer'
- 8 Lucky Hitchin man wins new Tesla and £30,000
- 9 Electrical store reopening with competition to win free 50-inch TV
- 10 Abandoned elderly cats found inside taped up box in Stevenage
Thanks to Waterstones, Stevenage. 4/5