Howl it loud - Big Bad Wolf is coming to Hitchin
- Credit: Archant
JazzUP returns to Hitchin’s Club 85 next weekend with Big Bad Wolf – a band that constantly strives to push the boundaries and blur the edges of the genre through a wealth of influences from Bjork to Derek Bailey.
The London-based group have developed a unique way to bridge the gap between improvised music and contemporary pop/rock styles.
From the band’s first experimentations in late 2014 there’s been a focus on the instrumental blend within the unconventional line up of trombone, guitar, bass and drums – and how to forge an individual, contemporary sound while still honouring the improvisational element of the jazz tradition.
Club 85 is proud to host the gig on Saturday, June 24, as part of the band’s Pond Life album launch tour.
Band members include Owen Dawson on trombone – with a career including highlights such as featuring on the West End run of Sinatra, the Man and His Music. Educated on the prestigious Royal Academy of music jazz programme, Owen is also an active composer and exponent of the electric trombone in situations ranging from free, improvised music to his role in Big Bad Wolf.
You may also want to watch:
Rob Luft on guitar is an award-winning musician from London, being described as one of the UK’s most prominent and talented contemporary young jazz guitarists. Praised for a recent run of performances at Ronnie Scott’s, Rob has been tipped to achieve great things in the future.
Michael De Souza on fender bass is a versatile and in-demand electric guitarist, as well as a prominent figure among the current wave of improvisers and jazz musicians emerging from the London scene.
- 1 Missing Stevenage teen found
- 2 CCTV appeal after fraud incident in Stevenage
- 3 Five Guys to open as lockdown restrictions ease
- 4 Development plans for 16.5-acre Stevenage site could create 1,000 jobs
- 5 Historic school to close at end of academic year
- 6 Increase in town centre parking charges 'is no help to beleaguered shops clinging on'
- 7 Unannounced safety inspection of care home following COVID-19 outbreak
- 8 'People power triumphs' as council agrees to change bulky waste collection fees
- 9 Man arrested in connection with petrol station robbery
- 10 When will outdoor pools be reopening in Letchworth and Hitchin?
Michael is also an active composer, writing for his own quintet, infusing jazz harmonies, rock riffs, Brazilian inspired Grooves and ‘free improv’.
As both a leader and a side-man, Michael has performed at some of the countries top jazz venues.
Jay Davis completes the line-up – a drummer and composer who has won a number of awards, had his own compositions featured on BBC radio and has also recorded music for television.
For more visit www.bigbadwolf.london. Entry is £8 or £10 on the night. Doors open 7.45pm.
Join the JazzUp community on Facebook or contact firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the mailing list.