Hitchin Thespians to present Meredith Wilson's The Music Man
Hitchin Thespians are presenting Meredith Willson s The Music Man, which opened on Broadway in 1957 and went on to win eight Tony awards in 1958. It tells the story of Professor Harold Hill, a con man who travels to a small town of River City, Iowa to ma
Hitchin Thespians are presenting Meredith Willson's The Music Man, which opened on Broadway in 1957 and went on to win eight Tony awards in 1958.
It tells the story of Professor Harold Hill, a con man who travels to a small town of River City, Iowa to make his fortune. He decides to convince the town that they need a boys' band even though he can't read a note of music, and plans to disappear with the money he makes, once the boys have paid for their instruments and uniforms.
All goes to plan until he meets the prim, town librarian, Marian Paroo, but when Hill helps her younger brother, instead of exposing him as a fraud she finds herself falling in love with him.
Such is the admiration for The Music Man, that many others have covered the songs.
The song Till There Was You was covered by the Beatles in 1963 and the popular television series Ally McBeal included several of the numbers from the show too.
Others have parodied Music Man, such as the iconic cartoon series The Simpsons in the Marge vs. the Monorail episode and in Family Guy, it has been featured twice no less!
- 1 Stevenage Major Works: Leaseholders sent final bills
- 2 North Herts deputy council leader Paul Clark passes away from COVID-19
- 3 Trust calls out council for causing 'uncertainty and chaos' by disrupting two-tier conversion
- 4 175-year-old primary school saved after months of uncertainty
- 5 Prince Philip death joke tweets sparks probe as councillor leaves party
- 6 Downing Street: Our MPs' responses to alleged illegal Christmas party
- 7 Man charged with multiple burglaries after police chase
- 8 Tranquil Turtle officially opens with dazzling launch event
- 9 Turkeys for sale on Facebook ruffles feathers
- 10 Christmas markets return to Hitchin
On the silver screen, songs from The Music Man appear in the The Wedding Singer, the character Robbie (played by Adam Sandler) teaches Rosie to sing 'Til There Was You for her 50th wedding anniversary and in Romy and Michele's High School Reunion, Michele (played by Lisa Kudrow) sings The Wells Fargo Wagon.
The Thespians will be performing The Music Man from 8-13 March at the Gordon Craig Theatre in Stevenage. Tickets can be booked from the box office on 01438 363200 or online www.gordon-craig.co.uk