Hitchin hosts ‘I’m a Minger!’
LIFE as a modern day teenager is the premise for a play hitting a Hitchin stage this week.
‘I’m a Minger!’ by Alex Jones takes the audience on 14-year old Katie Weller’s journey as she discovers the ups and downs of living in Britain today, complete with school discos, bitchiness, chavs and the search for a worthy boyfriend.
Played by Corinne Greenslade, through Katie we meet ‘love of her life’ Roger Bostock, a mum and dad that just can’t get it right, anorexic Lucy Cunningham and a host of teenagers through internet chatrooms where laughter and tears go hand in hand.
Joining Corinne on The Queen Mother Theatre stage for The Bancroft Players’ production will be Liz Pybus and Mariola Bocknak, who play 17 other characters between them.
Director Megan Burkes said: “I never expected that a year ago when I first read the play and used one of Katie’s monologues for a drama school audition how much I would fall in love with this play.
You may also want to watch:
“From that point on I knew that I wanted to direct it at The Queen Mother Theatre which is where I have attended Big Spirit Youth Theatre for the last five years. I am thrilled that in August I got my wish.
“I can safely say that I think everyone has been a Katie when they were a teenager growing up or is a Katie now, making this play relatable to a huge audience.
- 1 Why grass in Stevenage and North Herts public areas isn't cut
- 2 Surprise care home inspection finds residents at risk
- 3 Two people taken to hospital with serious injuries after Clothall Road crash
- 4 Closure order for Hitchin bungalow following anti-social behaviour
- 5 Officers investigating vehicle interferences urge victims to come forward
- 6 'Music legends' Aswad impress at LGC Live event in town centre
- 7 The beach is back! Hitchin to welcome the return of sun and sand for the ultimate staycation
- 8 New mental health unit earmarked for Stevenage
- 9 Lasting tribute to schoolgirl after tragic death
- 10 A family affair and club history make it a special day for Letchworth
“For my first play in the directing seat it has been a joy to work with such a hardworking, fun and energetic cast and I encourage everyone to come along to see the play!”
I’m a Minger! runs nightly at 7.45pm from Wednesday until Saturday, October 15, at 7:45pm, in the theatre’s newly redeveloped studio .
Tickets cost �8 and can be booked online at www.queenmothertheatre.org.uk or from the box office on 01462 455166.