Hitchin hosts classical concerts
CLASSICAL music will be ringing out from a Hitchin church twice in the next week as two acts return to the town.
Orchestra London Concertante will be the first to visit St Mary’s Church in Churchyard on Saturday as part of their Christmas tour.
The ensemble, who performed at the same venue last year, will be playing classical favourites such as Strauss’ waltzes, Tchaikovsky’s Nutcracker Suite, Rossini and Boccherini in a candlelit setting.
The concert starts at 7.30pm with tickets priced at �12, �14 and �16. They can be bought from Hitchin Initiative, by calling 0845 689 7015 or www.londonconcertante.com
The church will then welcome classical guitarist and lutist Toby Carr on Wednesday for a home-coming concert.
You may also want to watch:
Toby, who is originally from the market town but is now living in London, will be playing the theorbo lute with vocals from mezzo-soprano CN Lester for a concert which combines songs of Purcell and Dowland with traditional and mediaeval carols.
Toby, who currently teaches the guitar at North Herts Music School and Hitchin Boys’ School, will be performing at 8pm, with tickets available on the door for �6.
- 1 Missing Stevenage teen found
- 2 CCTV appeal after fraud incident in Stevenage
- 3 Five Guys to open as lockdown restrictions ease
- 4 Development plans for 16.5-acre Stevenage site could create 1,000 jobs
- 5 Historic school to close at end of academic year
- 6 'People power triumphs' as council agrees to change bulky waste collection fees
- 7 Increase in town centre parking charges 'is no help to beleaguered shops clinging on'
- 8 When will outdoor pools be reopening in Letchworth and Hitchin?
- 9 Man arrested in connection with petrol station robbery
- 10 Unannounced safety inspection of care home following COVID-19 outbreak