Hitchin hosts classical concerts
CLASSICAL music will be ringing out from a Hitchin church twice in the next week as two acts return to the town.
Orchestra London Concertante will be the first to visit St Mary’s Church in Churchyard on Saturday as part of their Christmas tour.
The ensemble, who performed at the same venue last year, will be playing classical favourites such as Strauss’ waltzes, Tchaikovsky’s Nutcracker Suite, Rossini and Boccherini in a candlelit setting.
The concert starts at 7.30pm with tickets priced at �12, �14 and �16. They can be bought from Hitchin Initiative, by calling 0845 689 7015 or www.londonconcertante.com
The church will then welcome classical guitarist and lutist Toby Carr on Wednesday for a home-coming concert.
Toby, who is originally from the market town but is now living in London, will be playing the theorbo lute with vocals from mezzo-soprano CN Lester for a concert which combines songs of Purcell and Dowland with traditional and mediaeval carols.
Toby, who currently teaches the guitar at North Herts Music School and Hitchin Boys’ School, will be performing at 8pm, with tickets available on the door for �6.
- 1 BID releases official statement after cancelling Christmas lights switch-on
- 2 Tranmere Rovers against Stevenage off after Storm Arwen damage
- 3 Villagers left waiting over an hour in cold for Arriva buses demand better service
- 4 Yellow warning for snow and wind in Herts as Storm Arwen sweeps in
- 5 15 adorable rescue pets in Hertfordshire looking for loving new homes this Christmas
- 6 Hertfordshire zoo Paradise Wildlife Park to temporarily close to the public in January
- 7 Hitchin named as happiest place to live in the East of England
- 8 Driver assaulted in racially aggravated attack following car crash
- 9 How Hertfordshire’s coronavirus figures compare to last year's lockdown
- 10 Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on: All you need to know